Chapter 12

(Daniels P.O.V.)

"You can set that table over there boys, thank you so much for helping me set up" my mother said and she brought out more decorations. Josh and I walked sideways trying to turn the picnic to line up with the rest.

"Do you need any thing else ma? Any extra chairs in the garage?" I asked using my shirt to wipe my fore head clear of sweat. She eyed Joshua for a moment before shaking her head.

"No but can I talk to you for a moment inside the house?" she asked setting down the box. I nodded and pointed josh over to the DJ table where my sister was picking out appropriate songs that won't freak out some of the older family members. We walked through the back door and into the kitchen.  Mom took a seat and the table while I washed my hands in the sink.

"So what did you wanna talk about?" I asked

"Why haven't you asked her yet?" she demanded, I rolled my eyes and grabbed some paper towels.

"Its too soon mom, I don't want to scare her, she's been through enough right now. I don't want her to feel pressured."

"I understand that honey, but maybe this is what she need to know that you'll always be there and support her. I'm not saying you have to get married right away. You can be engaged for awhile, but showing that you care and are willing to wait for her is a beautiful thing." she said smiling softly.

"But, I've waited to date her for more than 3 years." I said a little confused. She rolled her eyes and patted my shoulder as she walked past me to the fridge. She pulled out a pitcher of lemonade and I pulled out 4 cups.

"That may be true, and she knows that you love her and would do anything for her, but recent events have changed her. She might start to revert back into her shell and you would have to start the process over again. Which, don't get me wrong, wouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure you'd feel a little down." she poured the cups and placed the lemonade back in the fridge.

"Yeah I get that, but I'm just not sure. Of course I've thought about it but at the time it had only been three months, and I didn't want to rush things with her. I didn't want her to feel pressured into it" I sighed and picked up two of the cups. She smiled and took a cup out of my wrist. She reached into her sweat pants pocket and pulled out a familiar box. The small box was a made with a cherry wood stain color and on the top engraved were the letters 'K&K'. After holding it tight in her grasp for some time she looked up at me with a sad smile.

"Your father was a wonderful man in every way possible. He always followed me around in junior high school and was always a gentleman. He would ask me out on dated multiple times and I was too stubborn to agree until our sophomore year in high school. To this day I still regret not accepting his offers sooner rather than later. He took care of this family even on night when we couldn't afford it." she wiped a loney tear from her face and put the box in my hand. I opened it and my eyes went wide.

"Mom, I-"

"I remember the day he left, the last day we saw him. You were still so young that I held you in my arms as he got ready to leave. I remember telling him I rather him serve time in jail than leave us, I guess even then  I had a terrible feeling. He wore his usual smile on his face and ruffled David hair as he walked to the door. He gave all four of us a hug and a kiss and walked out the door. I followed him to his car because I wasn't ready to leave him. He must've had a feeling too because when he looked at me one last time, his smile didn't reach his eyes. He made me promise to give my ring to either you or your brother if the times comes where he can't. I broke down in tears clutching to my chest as he tried hard to keep his smile." She was full on crying now but she didn't miss a beat in her story. I pulled her in for a hug as she continued. " The neighbor had to help me stand because at that point I couldn't even stop him from getting in the car. I hugged you close to my chest and I felt your tiny arms wrap around my neck. You didn't talk much but you kept giving me little kiss on my cheeks. I made the decision then and there to stay strong and be the best mom I could. As your father pull out the driveway I yeld out 'I PROMISE! I PROMISE, I PROMISE, I PROMISE!' He waved and for the first time in awhile I saw him shed a tear as he drove away."

I gave her some napkins and set the cups down. "You've always been strong mom, I can't remember a time that you weren't." I said wiping her face. She laughed took the napkins before I poked her eyes out.

"I made a promise and I intend to keep it. No offense to your brother but I always knew you'd get married first." she said with pride in her eyes

"How did you-"

"We lived in a small city Daniel, I know how you boys were in high school. And if your sister wasn't in college she would have told me anyways" she gave me a playful smirk. I rolled my eyes as I felt a blush coming on. "I want you to have the ring. I won't rush you to do it now, but as long as you have it, and she is the one for you, then I can live in piece" she smiled and patted me on the chest. She put the lemonades on a tray and walked outside, yelling that she had drinks. I stared at the box in wonder and excitement. I laughed to myself and tucked the box in my back pocket, smiling at the memory of my father. I can only dream to live up to his expectations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Paige P.O.V.)

I looked myself over in the full body mirror and had to agree with Sam and Scar that I did look ok. I had on a royal blue tank top with a navy embroidery design on the chest. I had on light blue jeans shorts and I wore some black strap sandals. Well one sandal since I still have on a foot brace. I threw on some lip gloss while Sam braided my hair into  a fish tail. Scarlet took the liberty of wrapping my crutches with blue glitter strips. Sam Painted my toes black since I couldn't reach then and when done with my crutches, Scar did my hands. Scar and Sam had on dark blue jeans and matching shirts that said 'I'm with stupid' that had arrows pointing at each other. I shook my head at their silliness and grabbed my crutches. I really only needed one but Daniel would have a fit if he only saw me with one. Scar opened the door and followed me to the stairs, making sure I didn't fall and hurt myself. By time we reached their car I was slightly out of breath and ready to go.

"So this is the first time you actually meet his mom?" Sam asked as Scarlet pulled out the driveway. I nodded.

"Yeah, she couldn't make it to Jimmy's birthday party because of work. Apparently she came to the hospital a couple of times while I was out for that week but other than that I haven't formally met her. She added me on Facebook and send me pictures of Daniels as a child and we have small talk, but this will be the first time I meet her in person." I looked down in worry. Though we've talked online, there's something about meeting in person that so nerve wrecking.

"You'll be fine, I'm sure she's a sweet lady. If she raised two boys then I'm sure she's patient with a heart of gold" Scar said.

"I don't know, maybe I should've brought extra bandages, I'm already sweating  a lot. " I said fanning my shirt. Sam laugh and shook her head as she merged onto the expressway. The car ride was filled with small talk and lame jokes from Scar. As we got closer Sam broke the silence with a question I've been thinking about.

"So have you thought about visiting your dad? He seemed really upset at the hospital. Not to mention he looked like he shit himself when Josh almost decked him" Scarlet slapped her arm with a small smile on her face. I giggled and shook my head. The story they told me about Josh arguing with my father worried me and amused me at the same time.

"I've thought about it but I just don't know. I mean we haven't talked for over 7 years" I mumbled. I looked out the window ending the conversation as I didn't want to continue it, But I couldn't help but think about him.

Could I really have a relationship with him after all this time?

~~~~~~~~

lol so before you get mad at me for not updating for years, just know that I am completely sorry. I just lost interest in writing and couldn't find the motivation to continue. Though reading the comments from previous chapters has erged me to continue with this chapter.

enjoy ^.^