seventeen

Jacob turned to Dougal, lifting him up and placing him in its nest

Jacob turned to Dougal, lifting him up and placing him in its nest. "Happy to be home? Bet you're exhausted, buddy. Come on. There you go. that's right."

Tina looked around at the Erumpent, stamping through her enclosure. Tina's face was full of wonder and admiration. Jacob chuckled at her expression. Pickett pinched Newt from the inside of his pocket.

"Ouch!" Newt fished Pickett out. "Right, I think we need to talk. See, I wouldn't have let him keep you, Pickett. Pick, I would rather chop off my hand than get rid of you. After everything you have done for me - now, come on. We've talked about sulking."

Pickett stuck out his tongue at Newt and blew a raspberry.

"All right, now that is beneath you."

Cora giggled. "You deserve it, Newt. I wouldn't be too happy if you sold me off."

·     ·    .    *     *    ✧      
         ✵  ✹       · .  ☆                                  

Tina quietly walked up to Cora. "We're not exactly friends, but can I talk about your memory from back at MACUSA?"

Cora straightened up. "If you don't mind my wings." Then, her back cracked, spreading her wings.

"Oh - that sounded painful," mentioned Queenie.

Cora glanced around at her. "First time always hurts the most. Now, it's only a temporary pain."

"You called him Credence," interrupted Tina.

Cora nodded. "His father was not a good man. He's not Newt's if you couldn't tell. Newt saved me from Credence's father and I thank him every day for that."

Newt offered her a soft, sheepish smile.

"He should be twenty by now," added Cora. "I hope he has a great, safe life. It's a tough world out there. If I could have kept him, I would, but his father threw him out once there was no use for him. I remained as his slave for years before Newt rescued me."

"Twenty," murmured Newt.

He knew of Credence, but never asked much because he knew it was a sore topic for Cora. He had once offered to find him for her, but she didn't think a beast in his life was healthy.

"Tina, What was the name of the boy you saved?"

"Credence Barebone," answered Tina. "You don't think - "

"He looked twenty, didn't he? Of age?" asked Newt.

"Newt, are you suggesting - "

He nodded. "The Obscurus is Credence."