I cradled him in my arms and kissed his forehead – causing him to smile and happily coo once more.

"Alright, Jack. Bedtime, squirt," I murmured to him.

I laid him back down and tucked his blankets around him before I placed all of his favourite toys beside him. Once he was all tucked in, I smiled at him and gently stroked his head.

"Sleep tight, my beautiful boy," I whispered, "I love you more than anything..."

~~~~~~

I sniffled and used my shirt sleeve to wipe off the teardrops that had fallen on the album page in front of me

I sniffled and used my shirt sleeve to wipe off the teardrops that had fallen on the album page in front of me. Holding back a sob, I quickly shut the album and shoved it under my bed before I buried my face in my hands and shook my head.

Jack. My son. My adorable, son.

I miss him so much.

His fourth birthday was two days ago, on the 11th of April.

It's been one year. One whole year since I lost him. And not a single day goes by when I don't think about him, and what a beautiful little boy he was. I love him so much that it hurts...and I'd give up anything just to see his smile again, and to hold him in my arms again.

But I'm never going to get him back.

I shakily rose to my feet and left my room to go to the kitchen – opening up the pantry and taking out the half-finished bottle of whiskey that had been sitting inside. I then took a small glass from the cupboard and set it down on the counter beside the bottle – before I opened up the whiskey and poured it into the glass.

My heart was angrily thumping inside my chest – and I was desperate to calm myself down so that I wouldn't completely lose it like I always tend to do.

I took a long, deep breath and downed the glass with very little pauses. I then stifled a groan and blinked a few times since the drink had gone straight to my head – not that it was going to stop me. And I was just about to pour myself another when my phone suddenly started ringing in my back pocket – causing me to groan again as I reluctantly pulled the phone out to find out who the fuck was calling me. And as soon I saw it, I immediately rolled my eyes.

I was very tempted to just ignore the call. But, in the end, I decided against it – and let out another sigh before finally accepting.

"Yes, mum?" I said tiredly, "What is it?"

"'Oh, hi, mum'. 'How are you, mum?' 'It's good to hear from you, mum'," I could tell she was rolling her eyes as well, "you know, Harry, it would be really nice if you started being more welcoming whenever I call."

I groaned. "Mum, whatever you need to say, just say it – because it's my day off, and I really just want to relax."

"I know, darling. That's why I was wondering if you wanted to have lunch together today," she suggested, "it's been so long since I've seen you, Harry. I miss you."