Chapter 7: A Doctors, and Blankets, and Vans (Not the Shoe or Tour) Oh My

Chapter 7: A Doctor's Appointments, and Blankets, and Vans (Not the Shoe or the Tour) Oh My!!

Gerard groaned as he pulled himself out of bed to his one-month-old daughter's screaming. Now that she was getting older, her cries were starting to become distinct. He could seven times out of ten pick out if his daughter needs to be fed, if she needs to be changed or if she just wanted to be held. Except in the morning. In the mornings, neither of them were in a good mood. The routine wasn't determined by Helena and what her needs were at that minute.

Instead, the routine was that Gerard would wake up, grab Helena, and change her. Then they would go to the kitchen and Gerard would start the coffee and Helena's bottle at which point Mikey would come in because he smelled coffee, take his niece and feed her while his older brother drank his coffee to wake up. If Mikey didn't wake up, then the boys' mother would take the baby to have some Grandma and Granddaughter time.

Normally after this, Gerard would leave Helena with either his brother or Frank and go to work, or he would take Helena the studio.

But today their plans were different. Today, Gerard was taking Helena to the doctors for a check up to make sure that she was healthy and ready to travel. After that they were making final plans and getting a vehicle to pack with all of their bags and instruments. But first, Gerard had to shower and get Helena dressed.

"Mom, can you pack Helena's diaper bag for me while I shower and then I'll get her dressed for the day?" he asked.

"Of course sweetie. Are you getting rid of your phone soon?" she asked as she stole her first grandbaby from her younger son.

"Yeah. I can't really afford to keep it. I'm not going to have a stable income. What I do have will go toward 'Lena and her needs more than mine. I know some of the guys are keeping their phones, so I'll have those and I'm going to talk to the doctor at the hospital today to see about any recommendations he has for doctors in certain towns and stuff," Gerard called from the bathroom.

"And you'll call me when you need something? Even if it's just to talk?" she begged.

"Yes Mom!!"

"Don't worry Sweetie. Grandma won't let your daddy mess you up," Donna assured her granddaughter.

Gerard's shower was short and sweet (but effective) and soon he was dressed in his typical jeans and black t-shirt and Helena was in a onesie that her Grandma had found at the local Goodwill that said Daddy's Girl with a pair of baby jeans and socks.

"We're off to the doctors! Be back later!" Gerard called as he walked out the door with his daughter bundled up and buckled into her seat and then fastened into the car.

"And... WE'RE OFF!" Gerard sang as he played his new CD. Helena, he knew, was falling asleep in the back. She would stay that way until they reached the hospital a half hour later.

"Ok Little 'Lena. Let's go make sure that Daddy hasn't screwed you up, yet. I'm a Rock Star, I guarantee that you will never be normal," Gerard told the baby as he unbuckled her and carried her and the diaper bag into the hospital and up to the pediatrics where they had a private appointment with Dr. Qatari.

He checked in at the doctor's private office and then waited to be seen.

"Ah, Mister and Miss Way. How you today?" the doctor said as he came out and grabbed a file from the nurse at the desk while giving her the file he had.

"We're working on a system. The band and my family love her to death. She loves the attention. I, on the other hand, am living off of coffee as I will for the next few years according to my mother," Gerard said as he got up and followed the doctor.