Chapter 40: Big Brother (Jed)

Начните с самого начала

"Ricky? It's you."

"You always were an idiot." He messed up my hair and smiled.

"You're not mad?"

Ricky shook his head. "No. Annoyed and wondering why my 'older brother' is such a dumbass, but not mad. We all made it out okay. Did you see Jax? He's walking now. It's amazing what a little werewolf hormone can do."

Nodding, I tried to hide the fact my eyes were burning. "Is he mad? I didn't want to leave him. I really didn't. He told me it was okay. If I ever had a chance to run that I should take it."

"No, he's not mad. Jax told Maggie and me about you being apart of Wolfsbane now."

I glanced at Axil who was more concerned with drinking than my brother. "I was marked." I rubbed my shoulder.

"Me too." Ricky laughed and stepped back. "Look at you. You've lost some weight."

Bowing my head, I shrugged. "Life's been a bit rough lately."

"You still look alright. Lost the baby fat finally."

I scoffed. "Asshole."

"It's weird to see a human dressed up like a werewolf. Very nice."

"I wasn't given a choice," I muttered.

Axil glanced at me and slumped back in his chair. "Who's this?"

Ricky tensed up and inched behind me.

"My twin. Ricky, this is Axil, the one who marked me."

The werewolf scratched his neck. "How well did you test?" Axil stood and peered down his muzzle at my brother.

"I've already been claimed," said Ricky with a weak voice.

"I bet it's not as good as Jedrek." He grabbed my chin and lifted my face to him. "Not even the sub is as good as Jed. I beat Maxie at one thing."

I jerked back. "Stop it."

Axil snatched my wrist. "He's mine. Go run off and let your family know that Jedrek belongs to me. I'm not giving him back. Got it?"

Ricky nodded.

"Leave."

My twin stood there, not knowing what to do.

"Now, leave." Axil pointed with his claw. "You want to talk to my mate, get my permission first."

"Sorry," breathed Ricky. He backed away. "Take care, alright?"

Nodding, I forced a smile. I turned to Axil and shoved him back. It didn't do much. "What the hell is wrong with you? He's my brother. I haven't seen him in months."

He pulled me in close. "Your fault not mine." Axil snarled. "Now that you've established your family doesn't give a damn about what happened in the past, can we get this over with and leave."

"Fine by me."

Axil grabbed my upper arm and led me back to the entryway. It wasn't as crowded as before. He dragged me to the end of the line and placed me in front of him. Werewolves crowded in around us. Axil exchanged greets with a few in passing. My heart was pounding. Ricky wasn't the one that I left behind. Jax might have just told him he wasn't mad at me. I wouldn't hold it against him if he hated me. I deserve to be hated. I failed at rescuing them. I failed at everything, a brother, a rebel member. The only thing I was good at was shooting a gun and I doubt Axil was ever going to let me near one again.

"This is him."

Axil yanked me back to him as a brown werewolf with red markings on his face moved in. "This is Jed."

The werewolf snarled. "The werewolf killer."

"Who are you?" I asked, happy for once to have Axil to fight this guy off.

He laughed. "You might want to educate your little rebel."

"I'm too busy with trying to get him to agree to be my mate."

"Andreas," he held out his hand. "Alpha of Midfield."

A pit formed in my stomach. My eyes landed on his hand and the claws attached to each finger. There was no way in hell I was touching him.

"Don't know why I expected manners from a wild animal." Andreas dropped his hand.

My mouth fell open. "Wild..."

Axil shoved me behind him. "He's had some bad experience with Judah."

"I've heard. I'd love to let him feel my toxins. A small price to pay for the packmates he'd killed."

"I just wanted to be free," I said under my breath. "You'd do the same."

Andreas snatched the neck of my robe and yanked me out from behind Axil. "You are property." His claws pressed into my skin when he grabbed my chin. "As alpha, I have every right to do what I want with my humans. I hope Wolfsbane doesn't treat you nearly as nicely as Midfield. You don't deserve it." He shoved me back into Axil's chest.

I fixed my clothing and stared at my feet.

"Apologize," said Axil in my ear.

My mouth went dry.

"I won't do it for you. Apologize, now."

I glanced up at the alpha. "I'm sorry. I just wanted a better life."

"You should have offered yourself up, then. Who knows maybe Maximus would have taken you instead."

Axil put his hand on my shoulder. "We should congratulate Max. Excuse us." He pushed me forward.

Clenching my jaw, I pointed my eyes at the ground.

"Don't cry. You've already created enough of a scene."

"I wasn't," I replied in a hushed voice.

"Maxie," said Axil. "He's prettier than I remembered."

I couldn't look. White paws were right in front of me. The guilt was killing me inside. Every horrible thought I had about my brother came rushing forward. I had been so mad when I found out he had been turned.

"Jed," said Jax.

I broke down. I had been such a horrible brother to him. Jax's arms wrapped around me, and he pressed my head to his shoulder.

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you."

I hugged him tightly and sobbed into his fur. "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I did such a horrible thing to you."

"It's fine." He rocked from side to side. "I knew you were scared."

I cleared my eyes. "This was not how I expected you to react. I thought you'd hate me."

Jax laughed. "I finally get to be your big brother for a change. It's kind of nice."

I gave him a small smile. "Yeah. Yeah, it is."