xxiv.

( fact twenty-four! )
isabelle's rule is the strongest
one of france's yet.

the next two days were complete hell for isabelle de valois. being locked away in the scottish dungeon, and being treated as a prisoner were not ways that she wanted to spend her trip.

when the valois were alerted of isabelle's arrest, catherine demanded for her daughter to be returned to france. mary agreed—it was the least that she could do on behalf of her mistake.

isabelle was not treated as harshly in france. the queen sat at the head of the table, staring at her family. the last thing that sebastian and francis wanted was the death of their sister. francis did not care as much about the fate of arthur.

"you foolish girl. do you know how hard i had to fight for you to make it this far? henry wanted francis on the throne, but i wanted you! we needed you, belle. you threw away all of my hardwork for that—for that widower!" catherine yelled at her daughter. she was more than angry. everything that she had done for her daughter was tarnished.

"mother." francis firmly stated. catherine looked at her son before shaking her head.

"there is no way that you are going to live after this! every scot is calling for your head and i do not even wish to think about the french citizens." catherine groaned.

isabelle had zoned out the second that catherine opened her mouth. there was no way that she was going to make it out alive. she was going to be executed. her daughter would not have a mother, her brothers and sisters would no longer have their eldest sister.

"stop talking to her like that!" francis's voice boomed throughout the room. all of the valois looked up towards him in shock.

"your daughter might be executed before tomorrow's sunset and you are only thinking of yourself!" francis challeneged catherine's tone. a scoff fell from claude's lips.

"good riddance. look at her, she's losing her mind! she's a mad queen!" claude exclaimed.

james stuart sat next to claude, shaking his head. claude wasn't wrong, but her comment was harsh.

"she lost her son, imagine seeing your dead child! i do not blame her for going mad in a castle like this!" bash spoke that time.

isabelle's mind wandered to ewan. the fallen prince of less than a month. at that moment, she only wanted to see her daughter. she wanted to spend time with eden before her execution.

"where's eden?" belle spoke up. it was her first sentence since the family had sat down at the table.

"what?" catherine furrowed her eyebrows.
"where is eden? where is my daughter?" belle repeated and turned around to glance behind herself.

"she's with the nanny, why?" james responded. isabelle's tired blue eyes glanced up towards her family.
"i only wish to spend time with my daughter." she answered.

|||

isabelle watched as the young princess played with her toys. she felt so guilty that she never spent much time with eden.
"mother, what did daddy mean when he said to say goodbye to you? you just came back." eden's brown eyes stared up towards her mother.