I didn't know what time the bus came, if a bus even came to this street. It was 6:30, but every school was different and it depended on bus routes. I wasn't even going to bother with any of it. I would rather walk where I can have time completely to myself.

I got about a few hundred feet down the road when I saw a lady probably around Jack's age walk out of the little yellow house next to ours. Her dog, hooked to her wrist by a lead, barked and wagged its tail as it spotted me. She followed the dog's line of sight and lifted her hand in a polite wave. Maybe she could tell me the way to the school.

Knowing I couldn't talk to her, I arranged my features on my face to look really confused. I even turned in a small circle, looking around as if I lost the way. I heard her approach me and stopped.

"Are you lost, dear?" She asked while the dog sniffed me. I shrugged nonchalantly, trying not to be too desperate. The lady glanced at my backpack and said, "oh! Are you looking for the school?" I nodded and she smiled, raising her hand to point down the road. "Just follow the road that way and eventually you'll see a sign with arrows telling you where each school is. You can't miss it." I gave her a smile, hoping she understood my gratefulness. She returned it along with another wave and tugged her dog away.

I pulled my backpack off and unzipped it, taking out my iPod and earbuds. I opened it to my favorite playlist and grinned as the first song came on, relaxing me as it streamed through the ear pieces and the beat made its way to my step. Placing the device in my pocket, I slung my bag back over my shoulder, following the direction the lady pointed me in.

It took me fifteen minutes of walking before I saw the sign she told me about. An arrow pointing forward said Elementary School, the arrow pointing left said High School and the arrow pointing right said Middle School. I turned left and walked for another five minutes before I arrived at the school. In big letters over the double-door entrance, the sign spelled out "Forrest Hills High School." I pulled the front door open and was surprised to find the halls mostly empty. A few students wandered around, talking to their friends, but other than that, it was quiet.

I followed the very obvious directions to the Office and walked in. A short lady with curly white hair looked up at me with shining green eyes, greeting me with a kind, toothy smile. I returned the gesture with a small smile of my own and walked over to her.

"You must be Eirenae Leigh, am I right?" I gave her a nod — not bothering to correct her pronunciation — and she reached into her desk drawer. She pulled out a file with my name on it. "I heard you would be coming today. Here's your schedule with your locker number and combination on it as well as a map of the school. Have a wonderful first day!" I nodded once and gave a small wave as I left.

I opened the file and saw my locker number was 213. I figured that meant second floor, so I turned to the map and searched for the stairs.

I set off down the hallway, keeping my head low and trying not to draw attention to myself. I could feel stares on my back as I passed the whispering students. I guessed a small town meant everyone knew everyone, and I would be the obvious new transfer. Great. Ignoring them, I headed to the second floor, scanning the lockers for my number.

After what seemed like hours of no luck, I closed my eyes and leaned against a random locker, feeling hopeless. I'd been walking up and down the halls, looking for 213, and I just couldn't find it!

"Need help?" A voice asked.

I started and turned my head around to see a blue polo shirt. I dragged my eyes up to see a guy with fairly tanned skin and grey eyes. His brown hair was styled in a way that it was swept to the side while at the same time, it stuck up. He gazed down at me with a smile.

I sighed and nodded. I knew if Jack found out, he would probably kill me, but I didn't care if he did. Okay that was a lie. I did care if Jack found out because I would get a beating for it, but that wasn't what mattered right now. All I cared about was finding my locker at this point.

"Can I see?" The guy asked.

I gave him a small nod and handed him the paper with my locker number on it. He examined my paper for a second.

"All the one-hundreds and two-hundreds are on the first floor, not the second. I'll show you where that's at."

I gave him a weak smile. He smiled back, "Even better! You have Mrs. Holland for homeroom! One of my friends is in that class. I'll make sure to tell her to look for you!"

I gave him a nod, not sure what else to do. He gestured for me to follow and I went bounding after him as he went down the same direction I came from. I had the feeling that if Jack knew about the guy I met and the people I might meet, I would be in so much trouble. But I couldn't think about that right now. I just needed to have a good first day, if that could be possible for me.