Chapter Nine

With Eleanor practically bouncing with excitement to see Meri in her natural form and environment, it reminded Nixie of the first time she had travelled down the same path when it came to meeting her mother

With Eleanor practically bouncing with excitement to see Meri in her natural form and environment, it reminded Nixie of the first time she had travelled down the same path when it came to meeting her mother. She remembered the fight she had put up with her father about staying in bed, but how excited Henry was, nearly jumping at the end of Nixie's bed to get her up and moving. She had no idea what would be taking place that morning, but she remembered how happy her father was and how happy her mother was. It wasn't just a meeting for Nixie and Meri, it was a reunion. And as Nixie thought about it as they approached the water, a bittersweet sensation washed over her.

Every day, there was still part of her that wished Henry would appear out of nowhere and just join in whatever she was doing as if he had never been gone. He would probably start making jokes, or probably playfully start threatening Sirius for marrying his daughter. There was a possibility that he would be fretting over small things or maybe he would be in the kitchen whipping up a wonderful dinner, claiming that Nixie needed to eat. Either way, no matter how much time had gone by since his death, Nixie always found herself wishing that he would just return to her.

No matter how many times she spoke about it and even though it didn't get in the way of day to day activities, Nixie felt like she was never going to come to terms with Henry's death, simply because she was never given the chance to say goodbye. But just thinking about his death nearly rendered her to tears, so she had to think about something else, not willing to cry in front of the company she was in.

"How do you know that she's around?" she heard Fred ask from behind her, but before she could answer, Sirius did for her.

"She's always around."

Making it sound like Meri was part of a horror story with how he whispered his answer, Nixie snorted to herself lightly before approaching the water. She knelt down and looked ahead at the water before placing her hand in and splashing about. The commotion in the water always managed to signal her mother and just patiently waiting for a few moments, she heard splashing in the distance. Peering up, she spotted her mother's hair first, glossing over the top of the waves before Meri dipped back under to swim over to where they were.

"There she is," Nixie smiled straightening back up to remove her shoes. Tossing them off to the side, she proceeded to dip her feet in the water, inviting the others to enjoy her.

"Nixie!" Eleanor grimaced at the sight of her entering the water. "The water is freezing!"

Oh, if only they knew that she never really felt the cold when it came to the water. Instead of backing away, Nixie sat down allowing her feet to soak among the waves.

"I don't feel the cold when it comes to the water, Elli," Nixie informed her, especially as she saw the horror on the younger woman's face. " Feels great to me actually."

Moments later, Meri had finally reached the shore, propping herself up in the shallows as she greeted all of them with a smile.

"You splashed?"