Chapter one

"Alayna!" Aule shouted through the forges. Whatever he had to say was important so she decided it would be better to go now than wait. She crept through the forges until you stood before Aule. Her chestnut hair always seemed to float above her shoulders slightly and others admired her for it.

"Yes, my lord?" She asked looking up at him and his fiery aura. "I have someone I'd like you to meet. Mairon, come here!" Aule said and a freckled, red haired being walked through the doorway. "Alayna this, Mairon. Mairon this is, Alayna. She is the best craftswoman here." Aule introduces the two. "Alayna take, Mairon under your wing. That is a demand not a request." He added as he saw her go to protest. Alayna growled and nodded as she couldn't defy her lord.

"Yes, my lord. Come on, Mairon we have work to do and I'm not going easy on you." She said and walked back to her workbench. "So what will you have me do?" Mairon asked her. Alayna thought to herself for a moment and decided that maybe she should give him a chance. It was Aule, not Mairon, that had chosen her.

"Well I don't know your skill yet so for today I'm just going to have you be a assistant." Alayna answered and then grabbed her hammer and tossed it to him. "Go clean that and those other tools." She said and Mairon nodded eager to help her. "Yes ma'am!" He said and Alayna crosses her arms chuckling at the full grown Maia that was acting like she was a thousand years older than him. "If we're going to be working together you better call me Alayna!" She shouted after Mairon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the day passed into night and the bats and stars filled the black sky, Mairon and Alayna stayed in the forges. "Do you ever sleep or do you just stay down here all the time?" Mairon asked her. Alayna chuckled and shook her head. "Yes I sleep just not often and here. As a welcoming gift." She said handing him a small intricately woven ring. It had a silver base with green emerald like gems molded into vine like shapes. "Thank you, Alayna it's beautiful." Mairon said gratefully and smiled at her with a beautiful smile.

"No problem, freckles." Alayna teases and then took off her apron and hunt it off a hook by her work station. "Come on one last thing to show you before we head in for the night." Alayna said walking to a doorway inside the forges. "These are the shower. Women go right men go left. So get cleaned up. Clothes are inside." Alayna said and walked into her side.

Mairon was a bit confused on why they just didn't shower in their chambers but he went with it.

Alayna stripped herself of clothing and she grabbed two towels and walked over to a shower that was closest. She turned on the water and made sure it would boil her alive. She stepped inside and lit two candles so she had some light inside. She lathered her hands and hair in shampoo and then rinsed it out doing the same with her conditioner. She washed her body and then finally stepped out of the shower. She rung out her hair then wrapped it in a towel. She dried herself off and then let her hair down since it was decently dry now. (All girls know that wrapping your hair don't do shit to dry it.)

She threw on a brown shirt with black pants and then walked out into the hallway to find Mairon leaning against the wall. "Well goodnight, freckles, see you tomorrow." She said and walked out of the forges to her room.

Mairon smiled and nodded to her before going to his room. He walked down the hallways his boots clicking and echoing in the halls. He walked inside his room and over to his bed. He let down his long rusty red hair and ran his nimble fingers through it. He quite liked Alayna as his mentor. She seemed nice and wasn't to harsh. She was very pretty to too. But then again it was only the first day with her.