chapter 1

A/N: The pictures at the beginning will show the cat that has the POV in the chapter.

  *:・゚✧ ✧゚・: * 

   Amberleaf sat next to Dawnstar on high-rock with Rosepaw, her apprentice, right next to her. I wonder what he wants, Amberleaf thought as Dawnstar yawned.

   "All cats old enough to kill gather around high-rock," He mewed, licking his chest.

   Amberleaf suddenly remembered the night Silvermoon- now Silverstar- and her sister, Cinderfrost, ran away. They said they were tired of all the death, all the rules, and all that. Amberleaf had wanted to go with them, but Rosepaw talked her out of it.

   "Mapletail has supported ThunderClan for long enough," Dawnstar meowed, "It is time for her to become an elder."

   Amberleaf looked to her apprentice, who was also Mapletail's youngest kit, and she could see how much pain she was in. She needs to learn what living as a medicine cat in ThunderClan means. Death, all the time. Not a chance to heal with Dawnstar watching you.

   "Mapletail will be killed in three sunrises. ThunderClan is dismissed."

   Rosepaw stared at her mother and then Dawnstar, both stares in horror.

   "Rosepaw, let's go. Duskflower said Hollykit had a cough..," Amberleaf whispered, trying to cheer up her apprentice. She knew her apprentice had to learn to deal with all this death soon enough, or she'll be scared for her life pretty soon.

   "Okay," Rosepaw whispered, her voice hoarse.

   Hollykit, who was the only tom of Duskflower and Quailtail's second litter, mewed as Amberleaf and Rosepaw walked into the nursery. Swiftbreeze was laying down, watching contently as Redkit and Tinykit wrestled.

   Blazekit, who was almost the size of Amberleaf, yawned. "Why aren't we apprentices yet? Webkit is the size of our mother."

   Swiftbreeze flattened her ears. "You don't want to be an apprentice in Dawnstar's leadership, trust me.."

   Rosepaw looked back to Hollykit. "Um... Catmint? I think," she whispered before looking up to Amberleaf with confused eyes.

   "Good job, Rosepaw! I'll go get catmint from the medicine den."

   Rosepaw's eyes shined with pride.

   Its a good thing Rosepaw is learning so quickly. She'll never know if I have to go to StarClan more quickly then expected. "Watch Hollykit, Rosepaw. I have to get some catmint from our den."

   As she slipped into the medicine den, she saw the... dead body of Rosepaw, being eaten by Rainwing. Rainwing's usually excited blue eyes, that had always reminded Amberleaf of rain, were gone, replaced with lifeless grey eyes that reminded Amberleaf of death. The smell of death, blood, and fear all mixed together and Amberleaf started to choke. Then it suddenly all went black.

*:・゚✧ ✧゚・: *

   Amberleaf jolted awake.

   "Berryeye! She's awake," she heard a cat call.

   I don't recoginze this cat's voice, and Berryeye? Isn't he the RiverClan medicine cat apprentice? Am I in RiverClan?

   Berryeye padded over to her and sat down. "Do you remember anything from before you went unconscious?"

   "All I remember was that Rainwing was... eating Rosepaw. A-and her eyes! They were grey and reminded me of death, not rain like they normally do."

   "Rosepaw was fine and Rainwing was sharing a meal with her kits when we got to the ThunderClan camp and found you. Maybe a vision from StarClan?," Hollyheart mewed.

   "I've been having dreams like that, but.. at the same time different," Berryeye hissed, half to himself.

   "Do you think that it could be a sign from StarClan? Something we need to prepare for?," Amberleaf widened her eyes.

   "Perhaps...," Berryeye nodded, "I don't think StarClan would be showing cats we know in our dreams if 'it' isn't coming soon. They'd use... unknown cats."

   "Maybe we could tell our leaders about this. We could try to move... but I doubt it would help," Hollyheart sighed.

   "Maybe we'll just have to wait for what Starclan says. Maybe they'll send us a cure for this. Hopefully they do..."