➳ 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

DAYLIGHT
CHAPTER EIGHT

WHEN WE GOT DOWNSTAIRS, I saw Star sitting in the corner, softly talking to Laddie and I figured I should introduce myself, since they'd been passed out during the whole 'escaping from David' fiasco

"Uh, hi." I said awkwardly. "I'm Alice."

She looked up and I immediately felt self-conscious around her. Her curly brown hair framed her face perfectly and her big brown doe eyes made her look sweet and innocent. She was completely beautiful. She gave me a small smile.

"Star." She said. "This is Laddie. Say hi, Laddie."

"Hi." He said with a sleepy grin.

"We're gonna protect you guys. You, Laddie and Michael." I told her. "And then, maybe you guys can have your normal lives back."

"Thank you." She said. "We'll help you fight. We're stronger all together anyway."

"Don't worry. We got this." I said. "Just make sure you protect the kid."

"Star? Can I talk to you?" Michael asked.

"Yes, uh, Laddie-" Star paused, not knowing where to send him.

"I can take him." I said. "Go talk to Michael. He'll be alright."

She gave me a grateful smile and ran over to talk to Michael. I took Laddie's hand, heading over to the table where Alan and Edgar were busy putting camouflage makeup on their faces, using a magazine called Soldier of Fortune as a guide. I stifled a laugh with my hand as I watched them prepare.

"Hey! Alice, this is no laughing matter. This is serious business." Alan said, noticing my smile.

"Oh, no, of course." I said, clearing my throat and replacing my smile with a straight face.

Alan rolled his eyes and Laddie giggled from beside me. Sam was messing around with a bow and arrows and Alan was putting the last touches on his face paint.

"I think I should warn you all: when a vampire bites it, it's never a pretty sight." Edgar said. "No two bloodsuckers go out the same way. Some yell and scream. Some go quietly. Some explode. Some implode. But all will try to take you with them."

"Don't let them." I added.

Alan fixed his beret on his head, while Edgar retied his red bandana. I gave each of the boys a quick kiss on the cheek, making them all flustered and red.