Chapter 2

2 Years Later

"Do I have to go to school?" I ask and my mother laughs while nodding. "Unfortunately, yes. Sorry, babe." she says with a smile as she kisses my forehead.

"Darn!" I joke and we both laugh. "Okay, I'm off!" I say shortly after grabbing a banana. "That's all you're eating?" my mother asks with concern. I nod and head toward the door.

"Yeah, I'm not really hungry, and I gotta go!"

"Have a good day, sweetie!" she calls as soon as I close the door. 

My high school is within walking distance of my house, so I don't have to leave or get up very early. As I walk into the building, I'm greeted by my good friend Sheyenne.

"Hey, Nat!"

"Shy..." I tilt my head and smile.

"You seem to be in a decent mood for a Monday." Sheyenne says, taking a step toward me. I laugh and look at the ground, nodding.

"What's up?" she asks when I don't speak. I shrug and look up at her. "Am I supposed to be dreadful just because it's Monday?" I ask and Sheyenne smirks.

"If you're anything like the rest of us." Sheyenne gestures to the kids walking toward the school in front us. We enter and head for our lockers. I look around and recognize almost everyone, except one boy. I eye him deeply, trying to take in his somewhat familiar features. He is leaning against the guidance counselors office window, staring down at a piece of paper. I look at Sheyenne with a concerned expression and nod my head at him.

"What?" she asks before turning around. "Never seen him before, is he new?" I ask and she shrugs. "Must be. Let's go talk to him." she begins to walk and I hold my arm out to stop her. "N-n-n-no." I say, pushing her back to her previous spot. She stands back and crosses her arms.

"C'mon, Nat. Why not? You're all about meeting every other new student we have." she says and I look between the boy and my best friend.

"I mean, he doesn't necessarily look like the type of guy that likes to be approached by strangers." I say matter-of-factly. Sheyenne rolls her eyes and smiles. "You can just read people like a book, huh?" she asks and turns her head to look at the boy again. Suddenly her eyes widen and she gasps.

"You think he's cute don't you?" 

"No!" I shout while giving her a gentle shove. The boy looks in our direction and I immediately look away. Just then, the bell rings and everyone rushes up and down the hallway. The smile fades from my face and the boy and I make eye contact. "He just looks familiar." I say. Sheyenne giggles and pats my shoulder. "Alright, Nat. I'll catch you later." she says. I nod, then speed walk in the opposite direction to  my first class. 

As the halls grow more and more empty, I try to quicken my pace. Mr. Brighton doesn't tolerate late arrival and will hand a pink slip to anyone who walks into his classroom after 8:03.

I never understood why he is so exact with numbers, but nobody has the guts to question it. Well, to him anyway. I check the time on my phone and sprint the rest of the way to my Biology class. It is fifteen seconds to 8:02 by the time I walk through the door. I don't even have to look around to know all eyes are on me.

"Lady Spethan, nice to see you!" Mr. Brighton says with a large smile on his face. "I'm a minute early..." I remind my teacher and everyone "Ooh's".

Mr. Brighton looks around the room and nods with a smirk on his face. "Take your seat." he instructs sternly. I walk down the second isle of desks and my heart begins to race when I see the same boy that Sheyenne and I found in the hallway just a few minutes earlier. He is scribbling on a piece of paper paying no mind to anyone or anything around him. His long hair covers most of his face and matches his dark complexion perfectly. I keep my eyes on him as I slide into my desk which just-so-happens to be immediately diagonal from his.

"As ya'll may have already figured, we have a new student joining us this mornin'." Mr. Brighton announces in his southern accent. He was born in Louisiana and moved to L.A. for an acting job, but since he didn't get it he got a job as a science teacher instead.

Everyone turns to the boy, who kept his focus on the paper he had been scribbling on before. "Ya wanna come up here, son? Introduce yourself?" Mr. Brighton asks and the boy looks up. His hair falls to either side of his face, and it is at that moment I finally recognize him.

Mr. Brighton gestures for him to come to the front of the room like what we used to do in elementary school. They boy stands awkwardly and drags his feet up the isle, then stands next to our teacher.

"You wanna tell them your name?" he asks and the boy looks around the front of the room. Mr. Brighton talks for the boy after a few moments of silence. "This is Prince Jackson. Or Blank-"

"That's my brother's name," the boy interrupts and steps sideways away from the teacher. "Call me Michael."

"Michael." Mr. Brighton repeats and smiles. Whispers and gasps escape the lips of every kid in the room. Some were even offensive.

"Like Mike Jackson's kid?"

"Ow!"

"He, he!"

"You're Michael Jackson's kid!"  

"I thought he looked familiar."

"Go ahead and take your seat, Michael, and we'll get started." Mr. Brighton instructs whilst patting Blank. . .I mean, little Michael's shoulder. He makes his way back down the isle and takes his seat, ignoring everyone's questions and comments. 

I knew he looked familiar! Now I know for sure. Prince Michael Jackson ll goes to my school. 

I find myself thinking and wondering how and why the King of Pop's youngest son is attending a public school, and it excites me that it is my school. I then think about if Prince and Paris attend Garfield High as well. 

I try my hardest to keep my focus on the work in front of me, but it always seems as if every time I look up, it is in Blanket's direction. I can't help myself, and my heart stops when he catches me.