Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Come here Baby." Harry wraps me in his arms rocking me and stroking my hair. "It's ok if you need to cry. I'm here."

I bury myself deeper into the cocoon of his grasp. Tears staining his shirt. I'm not sure how long he's been holding me, but he doesn't let go until I'm ready. I can't thank him enough for being in my life. Not just as my boyfriend, but as my friend too. Most people would tell me not to cry.

Human nature is to avoid painful feelings. It's easier to sweep them under the rug, to pretend they don't exist. Harry is more emotionally intelligent than others. He's wise beyond his years, without a doubt I know he'll be by my side every step through this healing process. Encouraging me to do whatever it takes to get better, instead of asking me to ignore my fears so they can grow beneath the surface until they erupt.

"Willow, listen to me. I want you to know I'm here for you no matter what. I'll do everything in my power to make you feel safe. If you need to cry, then cry. It you need to scream, then scream. Whatever it is, we're a team and you have a new home now. The girls can both have their own room. There's plenty of security, we'll get them in a private school. Let's just start over, ok?"

Sitting on the edge of the hospital bed he's holding my hands to reassure me. As I said, he's emotionally mature for his age, but I don't think he has a clue what he's getting himself into. Not only is he offering me the refuge of his home, but he's offering that same space to my children as well.

"I can't let you do that Harry. We're not your responsibility, I won't let you flip your whole world upside down, it's your private space." He tries to argue with me, but I put my hand up telling him to stop and listen. "I have no way to afford paying for private school. Asking you to start your life over isn't something I'm willing to do."

"Willow, please listen to me, I love you, and when you love someone you take responsibility for caring for that person no matter what the cost. I have no doubts in my mind this is what I want. I know it's crazy, and please don't worry about the money. I want the girls safe, when people find out you're living with me the press will be unrelentless. They deserve a safe space at home and at school. My home, my life, and my heart belong to you...all three of you."

"What the hell did I do to deserve you. It's hardly been a week since we first met, and I know you'd move heaven and earth for me. This is a big commitment, are you really sure about this? I don't want you making these decisions on a whim just because we're currently in the middle of this shit storm."

He cups my chin to direct my attention to his gaze. I can see the sincerity in his eyes.

"Do you remember what I told you a few days ago?"

"Which part? You've told me a lot of things."

I shrug.

"When I tell you I'm gonna do something, that's a solid promise. I don't say anything without full intention of following through with it. I love you, and I don't care if we met last week or if it was years ago. That doesn't change anything, I'm completely dedicated to you and I'm ready for this."

"There are no words to describe how special you are. You're truly the most remarkable person I've ever met, without a doubt one of a kind. I love you so much."

I nervously wring my hands, terrified to take the next step. I'm not the best at making commitments, because honestly with my past they scare the shit out of me. Somehow and someway he finds a way to erase all the apprehension. Finally, I look up from my hands with more confidence and convection than I've ever owned.

"I'm ready, let's do this."

Harry's smile could light up a pitch-black night. He breathes a sigh of relief.