madmax

y/n's p.o.v

it was finally coming close to halloween as i sat in the wheeler's basement playing with my supercomm as mike watched me. suddenly I hear dustin's voice over the walkie talkie.

"y/n, do you copy? y/n, do you copy? are you with mike?" dustin says over the static.

"yeah. yeah, i copy. i'm with mike." i answer, smiling at mike. he smiles back.

"what are you doing on this channel?" dustin asks.

"nothing." i lie.

"lucas and i have of six bucks total. what's your haul?" mike looks over at me, a sense of slight panic washes over our faces.

"shit! i don't know yet." i stutter out as mike runs up the stairs, probably to see how much money he has.

"what do you mean you don't know yet?" he questions.

"hold on. call will." i put the walkie talkie down as I run up to where mike is.

"bye!" i hear mike yell as he runs down the stairs followed by nancy.

"mike!" she yells after him. "mike! get back here!"

"hey. no running in the house." ted scouldes them.

"come on." mike says to me as he grips my hand and run out the house together.

"what is going on?" karen asks us, but we ignore her.

we make it outside and grab out bikes and start to peddle off.

"mike! y/n! assholes!" nancy yells at us.

what did i do?

. . .

mike and i finally reached the arcade, the definition of heaven. we meet lucas and dustin at the entrance, just in time to see joyce pull up and drop will off. they were saying something, but it wasn't clear. they said there goodbyes and will exited the car and waved goodbye at his mother. we walk inside and go straight to dragon's lair. dustin went first.

"to slay the dragon, use the magic sword." princess daphne spoke.

"oh, jesus. i'm in uncharted territory here, guys." dustin said to no one in particular.

"down! down! down!" all four of us say to dustin. we all say multiple directions.

"i'm going! i'm going! i'm going! i'm going! i'm going! okay. shut up. shut up. shut up! no. no. no! no! no!" dustin exclaimed as his character died in front of our eyes. "i hate this overpriced bullshit! son of a bitch! piece of shit!" dustin kicks the machine multiple times.

"you're not nimble enough. but you'll get there one day. but until then, princess daphne is mine." i boast as lucas smirks at me.

"whatever. i'm still tops on centipede and dig dug." dustin shakes it off.

"you sure about that?" keith approaches us, eating a bag of cheese puffs.

"sure about what? you're kidding me." dustin checks centipede then dig dug. "no, no, no. move! move! no, no, no, no, no. hey, no! No! No!"

"751,300 points!" will says in disbelief.

"that's impossible." mike chips in.

"who is mad max?" dustin questions.

"better than you." dustin flips him off.

"is it you?" will inquires.

"you know i despise dig dug." keith scoffed.

"then who is it?" lucas asked.

"yeah, spill it, keith." dustin raised his voice at the older boy.

"you want information, then I need something in return." keith looks at mike, we all follow his gaze.

"no, no, no. no way. you're not getting a date with her." mike says knowing that keith wants a date with nancy.

"mike, come on. just get him the date." lucas tries to convince him.

"i'm not prostituting my sister!" mike argues.

"but it's for a good cause." lucas responds.

"no, don't get him the date." i butt in.

mike nods at me in a way of showing his gratitude.

"know what? he's gonna spread his nasty-ass rash to your whole family." dustin points at keith.

"acne isn't a rash and it isn't contagious, you prepubescent waistoid." keith looks slightly taken aback.

"oh, I'm a waistoid? she wouldn't go on a date with you. you make, like, what? $2. 50 an hour?" dustin throws back at him, i'm going to admit, it is kind of amusing to watch them argue over nothing.

"nice perm." keith throws back.

"gonna make fun of my hair?" dustin asks in shock.

after a few insults being thrown back and forth, it got quite boring. i look around and notice will is gone. quickly, i hurry off, trying not to be noticed and head outside. i notice the caramel-haired boy staring up at the sky.

"will?" i snap him out of his trance as he gasps, surprised to see me there. "are you okay?"

will takes a little while to respond.

"yeah. i just - i needed some air." will looks back up at the sky.

i've always been worried about his safety, even before the 'upside down situation.'

"come on. you're up on dig dug."

i walk up to him and throw my arm around him.

"let's take back that high score, huh?"

we both walk back into the arcade, leaving two questions in my head.

who is madmax and what was the hell will looking at?

word count: 854