Chapter 4: The Search Begins

Start from the beginning

As he lands on the hard rock, the message 'IMPACT COMPENSATION' displayed across his visor. Standing up, he looked out to see the red dragon flying in a wobbily circle and blowing out fire everywhere around him before retreating once more. Cursing himself, the marine grabbed his futuristic weapon and sprinted through the line of simmering flames in search of any surviving villagers. What he found instead were several orphaned children, a few whole families intact, and another batch of corpses.

A Few Hours Later...
Doom Slayer's POV

A good portion of the caravan was lost in the surprise attack by the red dragon

A good portion of the caravan was lost in the surprise attack by the red dragon. In the darkness of the night, we transported the survivors to the plains a few miles ahead, only for them to make a pit stop to mourn the loss of their loved ones. As the JSDF assisted them in prayer, I stood alone, watching them from a distance as the Praetor Suit cooled itself down from running through fire. I wasn't too good with mourning, or even prayer for that matter..

Gotta add dragons to the list of shit I despise now. Them and demons.

But as I watched the old man speak to the lieutenant, I already noticed the families intact were preparing to leave. As they finished speaking, the old man was already waving his goodbyes at me, leaving behind some of the children.

The hell's going on?

Approaching the soldiers, I looked on at the many children left behind as I thought to them.

Why are they leaving?

Itami: They....couldn't afford to take them. I think.

You think?

Mari: What are we going to do with all of them?

After a few seconds of silence, the lieutenant spoke.

Itami: We're the good guys, right?

Are you?

Addressing the children, he spoke to them with a reassuring tone while giving them a thumbs up.

Itami: Everything will be alright! Haha.

Gather around, everyone.

As I thought, the children looked back at me.

We'll see to it that we find you a proper home.

Child: Are you going to leave us with them?

Looking back at the unit, I responded.

No. Not until I'm absolutely sure of their intentions.

Itami: Hey! Why are you smiling like that!?

Mari: Nothing. I just figured you'd say something like that.

Pointing at the vehicles, I instructed the children, all the while giving them a thumbs up.