023 • Conflicting Souls

Aella stood her ground. If she wanted to know what those voices wanted from her, she needed to know everything. "During those dreams – or visions – I'm closely linked to that woman, to Rota. I feel her pain, her fear..." She searched for his blue eyes. "And I feel her hatred. You betrayed me – her."

If there was even a shred of remorse, he didn't show it. He didn't look away, she even got the impression he kept staring at her intentionally. 

"She hated you," she emphasized, persistent. She wanted to break him, she wanted him to burst into tears so that he would admit his sins sobbing. Of course that didn't happen. The only visible traces of sadness were the tears she'd seen in her dream, and she didn't even know if they had been real. 

"I think Rota always hated me," he answered, shrugging his shoulders. "Maybe even more than all other Valkyries."

His answer confused her. It wasn't true, otherwise his betrayal wouldn't have hurt so much. She however doubted it was a wise thing to say. It felt like Rota had wanted to keep her feelings secret and even though Aella didn't know who she was and what their connection was, she wanted to protect her.

A part of her wanted to find out what feelings he'd had for her. On the same time that prospect was smothering her and she didn't see how that would be helpful. "That golden object... what is it?"

Loki tore his glance away and stared at the wall. Almost a minute passed by. Aella felt his inner conflict. Still something encouraged him to answer. "A soul catcher."

Aella felt her chest tense up. What did that mean? "You wanted me to blow into it."

He turned his head towards her again. He studied her face. Aella shivered. It felt like he was looking for something, but she had know idea for what. 

"I wanted to keep you with me. A part of you." His fingers played with the edge of the blanket. "I loved you."

Something bubbled up inside of her. A laugh. "Your lies are so transparent."

His eyes found hers again. His glance was intense, maybe even hopeful. It felt like he was trying to look into her soul and she felt a knot in her stomach. 

"Tell me the truth," she persisted when things became so uncomfortable she felt sweat drops itching her neck.

A quick smile flashed over his face. "Always so decisive..."

Aella fiddled with her finger nails. Sometimes he spoke to her as if she was Rota. And, she realized in shock, there were moments she did the same. 

Was it possible Rota was inside her? Pushed away to a corner of her mind? A shiver crept down her spine. Was she awakened by the lightning stroke? Was she claiming more and more of her mind? Until there was no Aella left? What should she do? Push her back? Free her? And thereby taking the risk she would be overpowered? 

"I... I need to talk with Hayes," she stammered. 

Again that mysterieus glance. Did he try to read her thoughts? Were they both conspiring against her? What happened when she had a seizure? Was Rota trying to take over control? Panic suddenly squeezed her throat. 

"Go away!" 

When he didn't react, she grabbed him by the collar and smashed him to the other side of the room. With a bang he hit the wall. 

"Go away!"

She heard how he spoke to her, how he tried to soothe her, but she didn't want to hear his lies and she started to scream so loud that Thor, Brunnhilde and Hayes had to hear her.