"Yeah," she said distractedly. "In the bathroom on top of the cabinet."

"I'm gonna take a one and take a nap," a few cracks in his brave face began to show. "Shit hurts, man."

"Thank you," she looked at him with a sad smile.

He nodded. "Of course, you're my sister. If you really want to thank me, though, you'll come out tonight. I think you need it."

"I love him," she reminded Jake. "Do you know how hard it is to find a man who isn't disgusted by the idea of a relationship with me?"

"I don't know," he frowned. Jake wouldn't personally date a sex worker but he also wasn't cruel enough to make a woman feel awful because of it. "Is he worth this though?"

Katie sat silently, deep in thought, after Jake left her alone. She grew angry with herself the more she thought about her time in California. This was not the behavior of a the kind of woman she was.

"What the fuck?" She said to herself under her breath. "What the hell is wrong with me?"

Jake poked his head back into the kitchen from the hall and chuckled. "Let me guess, you're gonna come tonight?"

"Yeah I think so," she nodded. "This woe is me bullshit is not who I want to be. It's why I don't like opening up to people, guards get let down and boom, you're a sniveling, emotional mess."

Rolling his eyes he nodded. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, girls run the world and all that shit, boss bitch."

"Whatever," she laughed. "What time should I pick you up?"

"I dunno, 9? 10?"

"K," she got to her feet. "I have some errands to run. Need anything?"

"Yeah, I'll text you," he said. "It'll be a long list and I'm kind of broke, so, can you front me?"

Katie laughed, "Yeah sure. I'll see you tonight."

Hours later Katie and Jake drove through the gates and parked in one of the last open spots on the lot. Every man there, and some of the women, were wearing at least one article of clothing emblazoned with SAMCRO. Katie joked, as they walked up toward the clubhouse, "Everyone is really on brand here."

"Guys gotta be, our colors," he shrugged. "Girls are either proud of their old man, just wanna get laid or show off."

Katie nodded, "Got it."

"Trouble," Jax chuckled as he caught sight of them. "Wasn't sure if you were still in town."

Katie laughed a little. "I'm here until this idiot can get around by himself."

"He couldn't get around before he got shot," Jax said as he greeted her with a fleeting kiss to the cheek. "Get inside, prospect," Jax glanced at Jake with hard eyes.

Panic painted his face as he hurried into the clubhouse. "Everything okay?"

"Uh, it's club business," Jax said dismissively. "We don't usually talk about to anyone outside but we're gonna scare the shit out of your brother before we tell him we voted him in as a full patch."

Katie beamed, "Oh god, he's going to be thrilled. He loves you guys so much, fucking losers all of you."

Pulling a goofy face, Jax left her and headed into the clubhouse. Katie looked around, alone, and decided to head to the makeshift outside bar for a beer. Sitting at one of the slightly splintered picnic tables she drank and watched the people milling about. It had barely been twenty minutes but she already felt more relaxed, more like herself.