Chapter 12

Sitting outside a coffee shop in a classic red Jaguar, Kris waited for Katie to arrive. He figured she'd either be followed or had told someone they were meeting but, much to his surprise, she arrived with no tail and having told no one.

"Hi," she said quietly as she got into the passenger seat. "Whose car is this?" She asked, impressed by the mint condition, and clearly expensive vehicle.

"A client's," he said nonchalantly. "You okay?" His thumb ran along her jaw softly.

"No," she said with an annoyed huff. "I want to know what's going on, Kris."

"It's a goddamn shit storm," he grumbled. "I think we just need to go the hell home."

"I want to stay until Jay is back 100%," she told him.

Kris nodded. "Those fucking assholes he's in with," he said with disgust, "They think I helped get you kidnapped." Showing her the beginnings of bruises from Opie, Kris explained what happened. "You need to be careful, that big dumb one had me pinned up against the wall, nearly choked me to death."

When her hands grazed his skin he smiled sadly and grabbed her wrist gently, pressing his lips to her skin, feeling her pulse as he kissed her. "I don't want anything to happen to you. They're not safe, Kate. I need you to see that."

"They're capable of horrible things, I know," she assured him. "I'll be careful. Is anything they're accusing you of true?"

Pulling an annoyed face he mumbled something under his breath. "I tried to get you help. No one would talk to me and I couldn't exactly go to the cops."

"I see." She took her arm back and placed her hands in her lap. "Did you tell them where I was?"

"They were going to kill me," he said sadly. "I called the goddamn mechanic shop and got the runaround. I don't have your brother's number, I don't have your dad's," he sounded so desperate.

"You called the shop?" She asked with surprise.

"Yeah," he clicked his tongue. "Look, I didn't tell them that, okay? I just took the blame. I don't need these assholes to be going back and forth with me. You and I aren't angels but we're not on this level. I want to be done with it."

Katie closed her eyes and nodded. "I get why you didn't tell them but I almost died, Kris. There was a gun to my head, they kicked my ass, you can't just wash your hands of that."

Leaning over the gear shift he grabbed her face in his hands and kissed her. "I know," he said as he ended the kiss, before sucking on her lower lip. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Katie baby. I love you."

Her eyes focused on the gas pedal, unable to meet his earnest stare. "I know you do."

"Do you love me?" He guided her face up to force eye contact.

"I do," she smiled, it was genuine yet weak. "I think the west coast screwed with both of our heads."

"Yeah, me too," he gave her a crooked smile, a few strands of hair falling into his eyes. "How long does your brother need you?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "I'm going guess about a month, maybe."

"I'll stay too. I can rent us a penthouse, a real classy place," he smirked, his green eyes lighting up. "We can lay on the beach, get tans, learn to surf," he laughed.

"I don't surf," Katie giggled. "And we don't tan, we're too pale."

"We can get nasty sunburns then," he joked.

Katie sighed heavily and nodded. "It better be expensive," she said. "Seriously." Finally acknowledging her phone that had been buzzing in her purse for a while Katie sat back in her seat.