Four

Raegan heard Miguel fall to the ground with a loud thump, but that wasn't something she could deal with right now. One of the alien beasts who made this planet their home was coming and she had to deal with that first.

The beasts equaled death, and now that she knew her father was alive, death definitely wasn't an option. Not that it ever had been really.

If Miguel was going to be a fainter, then he wasn't going to last very long at all. She felt oddly disappointed about that. Maybe it's because it was the first person similar to her age that she'd stumbled across in this whole mess, or perhaps it was just the link to family. Either way, she knew she was going to fight to save him too.

"Okay, let's do this."

She felt her body gearing up, the adrenaline pumping through her veins. The alien beasts didn't bother her too much really, in the grand scale of things, they weren't anywhere near as strong as things she'd had to face in the past. As long as she could kill them when they were alone she was fine. The only thought that bothered her was getting surrounded. More than a couple at a time would become a problem.

It raced through the trees with its ugly, bumpy tail dragging behind it. Raegan raced too, knowing she'd have the best chance of catching it off-guard if she ran at it full force. She jumped up, pushing her strong thighs as high as they could carry her. She landed on its arm and swung out her fist to punch it.

As she threw her hands around and kicked with all her might, doing her best to harm the beast in any way possible, she spotted something. It was nothing of real significance on this planet, yet it was everything at the same time. She couldn't believe that she'd missed it. She couldn't believe that she'd finally found it and she was in the middle of a fight with this damn thing.

That glow...that energy. It could only mean one thing. Her heart raced faster, her breaths became ragged, she could hardly contain herself. Desperation to end this now became all of her.

"Ugh," she grunted, kicking harder. Miguel. She needed him to wake up too. She couldn't just leave him here in this hell, he'd never survive.

Damn it, this is why she hated having people with her, relying on her, leaving her in danger.

She turned to look at his body, still lying there frozen on the ground, and that was the action which gave the monster the opportunity lay his teeth into her shoulder, tearing some of her skin from her body. Hot blood trickled down her back, making the pain even worse. Raegan was okay with blood but it was always problematic. There weren't exactly hospitals with easy access in these universes.

"Argh, no!" she screamed, agony tearing through her.

Raegan had never been hurt before. Not like this, and it destroyed her, knocked her confidence and allowed the pain to consume her. She started to feel herself go woozy. Her kicks felt less powerful, her hands barely connecting. How had this happened? Damn Miguel! This was his fault.

She felt the beast drop her body to the ground. She even felt her leg being pulled and her body drag along the muddy floor. Was this it? Was this the end for her? After she'd just learnt about her father, she was being taken to be killed.

Her dad.

If she let this happen to her now, then she sacrificed any chance to ever see him. She couldn't let that happen. She'd spent the last ten years surviving on the hope that she'd get to be with him once more. Now this was her chance and she couldn't throw it away. Not over some injury that was probably really minor anyway. A surge of something burst through her and she started to shake, to try and push the thing off once more.

"Raegan?" She heard a weak voice call out. She grunted but couldn't call out to reply. She desperately wished that Miguel would gather up enough strength to find her, but she didn't hold out much hope. The passing out suggested a weakness that wouldn't save the day.

She thrashed harder, she really fought for her life with everything within her. Harder than she'd ever done before. Now she felt a little like her life had meaning. This was overwhelming, yet exciting at the same time. It was a deep thrill that she hoped would get her through anything, including this.

Raegan finally had a chance to get something real in this crazy life that felt like a nightmare.

Suddenly something crashed into the beast, knocking it to the ground. As it fell, it released Raegan's leg. Fearing that it was something worse than she'd already been fighting, rather than Miguel magically rising to his feet and saving the day, she took the opportunity and ran like hell.

"Miguel!" she screamed. She didn't want to hang around on this damn horrible planet any longer than she had to. She wanted to get the hell off it now she knew that she could. Especially since she was injured. She didn't need any of this. "Miguel I've found the exit hole."

As she neared it, she feared she was going to have to make a decision she wasn't ready for. She was going to have to choose between what she wanted to do, and what she felt was right.

Did she save herself and leave Miguel? Or did she remain and continue to fight for him outing them both at risk? Heart over head. Moral fiber over survival instinct. Which one would win out?

Luckily a human shaped shadow appeared in the distance and relief flooded through her. She didn't have to choose, he was here. He'd made it.

"The exit hole," she panted. "It's...it's there."