Chapter Five - Sean

5.

"There ya go," I say to the couple sat in front of me, placing down two pints of beer. The contents of one of the full glasses spills over the side and onto my arm.

"Oh I'm so sorry, I'll get something to clean that up." I say sweetly. My natural charm appears to work as they don't seem annoyed at all. I rush off quickly to find a cloth.

I work in the pub just around the corner from campus. It's a five minute walk which means I don't have to get up too early on weekends and I can go and see mom and dad afterwards if I feel like it, which I never do of course.

Voluntarily taking myself to have a conversation with my father? No thank you.

The place has a low ceiling with beams across it and the decoration can only be described as ugly.

Unlike me of course.

My uniform consists of dark jeans, a black shirt, and a black half apron wrapped around my waist down to just above my knees. I guess it could be a lot worse, but I would so much prefer to wear home clothes. I mean the amount of girls who walk in here on their own; I really can't see myself having any hope wearing this.

I work mainly weekends but since getting to know the staff better, they say I can turn up when I'm free after College and do a couple of hours. But trying to balance earning money and college assignments is not easy. I try to avoid working late on Fridays and weekends as that's the time when most of the people from college come in, and I can't stand serving my friends.

Work is just a distraction for me - somewhere where I can come and take my mind off things and get payed in the process. I know it's crazy but it's like my little safe heaven, where I can just escape from college and people and all that jazz.

But just as I've started settling into my shift, something has to come and ruin it.

I hear muffled voices followed by loud footsteps causing me to look up from the table I'm cleaning. I offer a weak smile to the couple sat at the table, and turn to walk away into the kitchen.

As I'm walking, I realise that I recognise one of the voices, the dominant one. It almost sounds like... No. It can't be, he's halfway across the country. But just as I try to push the thought out of my head, I stop in my tracks as I see my worst nightmare walk through the front door.

One million questions fill my head and threaten to explode me. I feel physically sick, and my legs shoot adrenaline around my body, causing me to feel giddy and even more nauseous.

He hasn't seen me yet. I whip around and walk as fast as possible towards the kitchen double doors.

Just two more steps and I won't have to talk to them. Talk to him.

"Well well well, Seanie this is a pleasant surprise."

Not fast enough, Seanie.

I watch in horror as I see my brother walk towards me followed by his band of not-so-merry men. The questions keep piling into my head.

Why are you here? How are you here?

"Bro." I say through gritted teeth, trying to restrain my anger.

You could say that my brother and me... we're less than friends.

A lot less than friends.

"I didn't know you worked here? What a coincidence." He lies cooly, a growing smirk appearing on his face.

"What do you want Jim?" I say bitterly.

"Word on the street pretty boy," he says batting his eyelashes intimidatingly "is that you're finally got last your fear of human contact. Not only that, but you're sharing with a girl this year!" His followers wolf whistle and mumble gruffly.

I start to notice how the whispered conversations of those around me begin to trail of as they pay increasing attention to the drama unfolding.

"Jim you know why I don't share so don't give me that sort of crap."

"Sean, it's ten o'clock, you're free to go my boy." I hear my boss call from the kitchen hatch.

I throw down my cloth onto the bar and take off my apron, all the time not breaking eye contact with him.

"We're done here. Goodnight." I say, in fake humbleness.

"Ah ah ah, not so fast." He says "I have news for you." I don't turn around, just look over my shoulder and wait for him to share this news of his. He beckons me towards him, cupping his hand over his mouth ready to whisper something. I hesitate momentarily before agreeing to myself that I would play his silly little game.

"I'm coming back."

My heart immediately jumps into my throat, and my palms go hot and sweaty. I feel my face flush with anger, and so not knowing what else to do, I storm out the bar not bothering to say goodbye to my boss.

As I leave the front door, I felt a wave of cold air slap me round the face. It was dark outside and the sky was clear, revealing an endless stretch of stars.

I storm towards my black pick up truck, cursing under my breath in anger. When I reach the truck I yank my keys out of my pocket, brining my phone with it which smashes onto the ground face down.

And then I explode.

I shout as loud as I can, no words, just pure shouting from the bottom of my lungs. It was so loud I am positive everyone in the bar would have heard, including him. Thank god it's dark out or I'm pretty sure passers by would have had me arrested by now.

He knows he's got to me - he knows better than anyone how to wind me up.

I kick the front tyre as hard as I can, and then lean into my arms onto the side of the truck.

I close my eyes and listen to my breathing as it decreases in speed.

How has he managed to get out?

And then it hit me. Like someone was punching me in the stomach with realisation.

Jimmy is back. Jimmy is coming back.