The Twisted Fingers

Start from the beginning

The door opened quick and slowly shut. The floors were marble; the walls were walnut. The house was grand; its ceilings tall. I felt like a bug underneath it all. And where I heard three voices, I only saw two. Standing there were an old Mister and a Misses to name the few. Almost I spoke, but I stopped my choice. Had I imagined so this other voice? Though I swear I heard a child laugh, a wicked tune in the aftermath.

"Can we take your coat?" asked the Miss. "It appears so heavy upon your wrists."

"Yes, you may," I wearily spoke. Handing both my hat and my coat.

"You should have dinner with us if you wish. My wife has prepared her tastiest dish." The Mister led me to a seat. A couch with claws instead of feet. "The meal, dear sir, is sure to appetize. Enjoy your time here and relax your eyes. We will call you when dinner is prepared, until then be merry and don't be scared."

"Scared of what?" I did interject. "What should I be wary of? What should I suspect?"

The Miss looked worried. I could see it in her eyes. Away she scurried like an animal in surprise. The Mister's smile grew calmly on his face. "I am afraid I misspoke. I must have spaced. Nothing to be afraid of here. Nothing at all. Nothing to fear."

The Mister soon left, and I was alone. Music began to play in gratifying tones. My chin dropped somberly to my chest and at last I had a chance to properly rest.

Though resting was short I must confess for under my seat I felt a rise. As though something began to press down my back and up my thighs. "What in devil's name," I jumped to my feet ready to check what touched me beneath. I placed my hand and again I sensed. The cushion move and the fabric tense. "What demon, what devil, what harrowing device, could possibly make me feel that feeling twice?" And before I had the chance to see, in came the Misses all full of glee.

"Oh dear, sir, dinner is served. Come swiftly now before cold is observed. Ready your tastes; ready your palettes. Today we are eating poached eggs and scallops. "

I turned away from the couch for now, still wondering to myself what and how?

Entered the dinning room, the misses and me. For such a large table only three chairs did I see. Across the candlelit room a grand window reflected. I frightened myself for instead of my face only a shadow projected. I raised my hand and so did my reflection. I brought it down and the shadow did also without objection.

The Mister noticed my sudden distress. "Pay no heed to that window, sir, it is unblessed. For the things we imagine are not always the truth, at one time this window reflected my youth." I looked to the window and sure enough I did spy, a younger version of the Mister less clammy and dry.

"What madness is this place?" I did beseech. "A shadow reflects but my skin is peach. I am a man of flesh

and bone! Can you not see it or am I alone?"

"Tea, dear sir, will calm your nerves," said the Misses. "When food is in you I assure you the delusion dismisses." The two sat me down and placed a bowl of food for me to eat. "We have not had guests in so long. This is a treat."

I did not touch the food. How could I after what I have seen? Nothing was as it should have already been. "Is what I imagine truly a delusion, or is what I do not see the grandest illusion? Is my perception extremely off or is it some intolerable form of scoff."

The Misses glanced up and shifted her weight. "Oh guest, you have yet to touch your plate. The scallop soup and the eggs are delicious. Eat your fill. It is quite nutritious."

As I reached over to slice my eggs, I felt something brush against my legs. Then I heard it again but this time less discrete. For there was no denying a child giggling under my seat. I rose the tablecloth as quick as can be, and to my surprise I saw— nothing! No child, no movement, just two pairs of feet. The Mister and Miss's legs rested still under the sheet.