Janessa stood in front of the Dwarf, her face alive with the exchange of offers, counter offers, and the occasional curse from Galin. "Eight pieces, that's my final offer." She was certain he was feigning his indignation for Dwarves had a reputation for never taking a loss in any negotiation, no matter how trifling it may be. Although watching Galin's face turn bright red on a couple of occasions made her wonder if he followed the same legend or was he a rare occurrence for a Dwarf.

It took a few seconds for the light headedness to pass from the sudden blood flow into Galin's head. Moments like those filled him with pride; were he human he'd be in the theater. "Fine, lass, we have a deal then?" The Halfling nodded her head in triumph, as he expected. He watched her count out the eight gold pieces into his hand. When she got to the eighth and final piece she paused before letting it drop. He recognized the look in her eyes; she just spent a years worth of money if she was a farmer. Buyer's remorse was a constant irritant to him. People always wanted their money back moments after they thought they had the deal of a lifetime. "Spent more than you wanted, lass? Sorry, I don't give discounts for buyer's remorse."

Janessa glanced up at him and shrugged. "I know, I thought I had more." The Halfling's mood changed into one of enthusiasm. "Still got more than enough for the fights. Bye." She turned and trotted off with her new dagger and change purse.

Galin watched her for a moment as what she said registered. A Halfling betting on the pit fights? That could prove to be dangerous for the other gamblers. Halflings weren't known to lose many bets, and even if they did, they usually reacquired their money and then some.

"Hold up, lass!" He stepped out of his stand to try to catch her. He wasn't sure why, but he liked her and would hate to see her swinging from the nearest tree. He lost sight of her before going two steps and, unwilling to leave his items out in the open, he returned to his perch. He knew where she'd be later on, but he didn't understand his role in her life. Since when did he care about a Halfling? In particular, one that may get him hung as an accomplice. "Damn Halflings; more trouble than they're worth," Galin muttered as he began to close up his store.

*****

"A wise choice, my dear." The merchant nodded, satisfied. He watched with boundless patience while the young mage looked through the small stack of books. She glanced over them, only taking time to read the parts that interested her. Yes, he was surer than ever before that she was the one. The fact she selected the herbology and mythical lore books was proof of that. Only one with as great a potential as the brown robed mage before him would've been drawn to them.

Pleased with herself, Viola smiled at him. "How much are they?" She wanted them, that much she knew, but she wasn't sure why. She could feel the magic flowing from them, guiding her hands to their covers. The sensation was like a mother handing her child a fresh baked cake to eat. Love and kindness flowed from them and into her. Knowing Master Poumous would tell her she imagined it and that books of their nature held no magic, she wondered why someone would go to the trouble of enchanting them. There were many things her master was knowledgeable in, but she knew he would be wrong in this.

The old man smiled at the wanting in her eyes. "Five coppers each."

Viola's eyes widened and her mouth fell open in surprise. "That's all?" Books such as those cost at least a silver piece, maybe two. The price seemed too good to be true, and after a moment, her enthusiasm began to fade.

Sensing the change in the young mage, he smiled, disarming any misgivings. "Have no fear, child, these books are old. If anything, they're worth less. Besides..." he paused, looking into her eyes, "they were mine when I was about your age. I want you to have them. It'd be such a shame if someone bought them only to toss them out in a year or so. I know you'll take good care of them."

The last part caused her face to flush. Aside from Janessa, Viola never experienced anyone showing so much faith and trust in her. Even if it was just a couple of books, it meant the world to her. "Thank you... I don't know what to say."

The old man smiled. "Your gratitude is enough, child." He accepted the coins from her and put them in a small pouch tied to the sash around his waist. She noticed the aged gray robes she mistook before for traveling attire. Viola knew she needed to be more observant of the world around her, but it was all right, there was plenty of time for her to improve.

"Viola! Viola, you gotta see this!" Janessa's call caused the young mage to flush with embarrassment when she was about to thank the man again.

Seeing the Halfling, he smiled and waved his hand to dismiss the interruption. "Think nothing of it. But I must warn you, if other mages see you with a thief, they may make things difficult." The smile of Viola's eyes was replaced with a cold resolve. He could see his warning was late in coming. "I see. Well, who are they to judge, am I right?" He smiled, helping the good natured happiness return to her eyes. "If ever you need anything — spells, books, or have questions to ask — come to see me."

"I thought you were with the others here?" Viola was confused. She assumed the merchants followed the fighters across the country.

The old merchant chuckled. "Heavens no. Many of us just happen to cross paths here and there. I've been thinking of settling down somewhere peaceful for my retirement."

"Oh, that'd be great! Old Man Winston has a room for rent in town." Neither of them had noticed Janessa's approach after her initial hail to her friend. She had come upon them as the merchant, a bit old for her taste, finished talking. Without hesitating, she offered what help she could, since it was obvious he and Viola were friends of sorts. That made him one of her friends as well. Such was the enjoyment of having a Halfling as a friend.

Though Janessa's sudden appearance startled her, Viola was quick to recover. "He didn't say he was staying, just thinking about it." Viola appeared calm, but inside she was elated. She couldn't remember the last time it felt like her soul was doing flips. Having another magic user in Hope, and one willing to help her outside of the school, was an answer to her prayers. "But there is a room open," she finished as she clung to her hope.

Ah, the impetuousness of youth. He remembered those times very well. With a hearty smile, he bowed his head. "Thank you for your assistance, my dear. I shall look into it." Viola's heart leapt for joy. "Now, I don't want to be rude, but the first fight will be starting soon. You only have a few minutes to place your bets."

Janessa's eyes opened wide. "I nearly forgot, thank you, sir." She paused before running off. "Do you know who's fighting?"

"Janessa!" Viola's shout was a mixture of anger and amazement, though she thought the latter was impossible after what she'd seen her friend do often enough. She was wrong.

Janessa returned the look with her own shrill reply. "It can't hurt to ask!"

The old merchant raised his hand; part of him enjoyed the scene. "If I may be so bold, bet on the Minotaur. He hasn't lost yet."

Janessa's eyes gleamed in the afternoon light. "Thank you, sir! C'mon, Viola, we don't have much time!"

Viola allowed the smaller Halfling to pull her away. "Thanks again for the books."

Watching the two of them run down the throughway, or Main Street, he smiled to himself. The last thing he heard was the Halfling telling her friend he was too old. If they only knew.