Chapter One

A sequel to My Heart Only Beats For You

Author's note: Welcome to book two! If you haven't read the first book yet, I recommend it because you will be completely lost during Infinitely. Anyway, thank you all so much for sticking with me! I'm sure a lot of you hate me right now for the ending of book one, but enjoy anyway! ~Jenna

-----------------

I don't understand very few things in life. Like the reason I can't imagine a new color that hasn't been created yet. Or how in fairytales, the princess never really gets to save the prince.

Or how one day, your life could be completely normal. Your biggest worry is if someone fed your cat before you left for some party. Or if you remembered to lock up. And then, the next day, everything can change, your biggest worry now being if you're going to survive.

And how to tell the man you love that you are dying.

-----------------

An abundant amount of thoughts ran through my brain as I sat on my bed after my appointment that morning. I sat with my legs pulled up to my chest, silently crying. I had only told my Uncle Jerry about the news.

Dr. Richmond said it wasn't very bad right now. He thinks he may have found it in time. I start chemo the following week. I would have to make an announcement to the press beforehand.

I looked at the clock. It was just after noon. I was supposed to meet Evan in an hour. I wracked my brain for what I was going to say to him and came up short.

Picking up my phone, I decided to call my best friend from back home, Macy. I figured she should be one of the first people to know.

"Hey, Annie!" She said in her normal, chipper voice.

"Hey, Mace," I said back. My voice was hoarse from crying. I cleared my throat.

"Woah, are you okay?" Macy asked immediately. She could tell I wasn't quite myself.

"Umm not really," my voice shook as I felt the familiar knot return to my throat. "Is this a good time to talk?"

"Yeah, of course. What's up?" He voice was stern. I could tell she was concerned.

"Well," I started, not knowing if I should beat around the bush or just get it over with. "Well I just got back from a doctors appointment because I've been having a few minor problems."

"Uh huh," Macy said, urging me to go on.

"Macy," I said, a single tear falling down my cheek. "Macy, I have cancer."

I could hear Macy draw in a shaky breath on the other side as I squeezed my eyes shut tight, trying to keep the tears from coming.

-----------------

Macy and I talked for a long time before I told her I had to meet Evan, although I was still unsure of what I was going to tell him.

This wasn't the way it was supposed to be.

I went to the bathroom and washed my smeared makeup off my face, putting on a new layer. I pulled my hair into a messy bun on the top of my head and threw on a pair of jeans and a plain purple scoop neck.

I arrived at the cafe we had planned to meet at earlier than Evan, choosing a table near the back.

Evan walked in a few minutes later and smiled brightly when he saw me. He rushed over and planted a kiss on my cheek before taking his seat across the table.

"Am I late?" He asked, looking at his watch. "I thought-"

"No," I cut him off quietly, "You're fine." I gave him a small smile but he could tell something was wrong. I wasn't very good at hiding things.

"How was your appointment?" He asked staring into my eyes.

I didn't answer. I didn't know what to say.

"Annie, is something wrong?" He gave me a worried look. I still couldn't speak.

I bit my lip and nodded quickly.

I told him what the doctor had said. Everything. I watched as his face fell. It was enough to make my tears start again.

When I was finished, he grabbed my hand and pulled me closer.

"He thinks he caught it." Evan said surely.

"Evan, he doesn't know that for sure-"

"He doesn't need to." Evan cut me off. "Annie, listen to me. Me and you, we're going to fight this thing. We are going to fight it and we're going to win. We are going to beat this thing, Annie."

Although his face was uncertain, I could see a glimmer of hope in his eye, and that was the only thing I needed.

"Annie, we're in this together."