Chapter 13: Lukas

Start from the beginning

Collapsing back down, I focus instead on just taking really big and deep breaths to control my rapid heartbeat. I hear a piston turning on and those breaths get a lot faster and get in sync with my frantic heart.

Iron thrusts itself all over my head, causing a huge headache but that's the least of my concerns. Air, I can't breathe at all in this metal prison. I can't move my mouth, I can't say anything, totally trapped.

It's only been a few seconds and my already lungs seethe with burning needles. The roar of my heart gets louder and faster as my muscles thrash to free myself. What's wrong with me? I've held my breath triple this length before it got as painful as this!

My back arches and throws itself down, my arms desperately trying to break the bindings to push my head out, legs kicking as hard as they can to free myself and get out. I need to get out! I need to!

Everything's burning more and more! My heart on the verge of explosion as my lungs wither away without any air. Muscles screaming as fear and panic and more fear and more panic take root. I'm dying, I'm going to-

I gasp, air rushing into my lungs as my eyes swim in darkness trying to see. I don't bother and close them, breathing as deep and as fast as I can. Everything still burning and even though I'm laying down I rarely have ever felt so scattered before.

No longer moving a muscle, I relish in being able to breathe again. This is great, really great, absolutely great. These people are the worst kinds of monsters there are, depriving people of food and air just for their stupid experiments. Air is a basic need of all life! They don't get the right to be able to take that away!

My anger dwindles down as my pain does as well. My lungs finally only mildly aching with my heart sorely throbbing against my ribs, blood still deafening me to other sounds. Muscles aren't very happy yet, but they already feel better. A few more minutes and I'll be slightly worse for wear.

If, of course, being worse for wear means being starved, constantly worrying for the lives of your friends, plagued by fears about the one friend you know next to nothing about, living in darkness except when about to be tortured upon, all of your control robbed by demons, and can't even claim to be entirely human anymore.

"Punish Subject 811 for its earlier disobedience."

Fear blasts my eyes wide open. Not another test! Oh please no! Just throw me back into the cell! I can at least sleep and move my limbs freely there, without worry of some new experiment being slammed down on me. Can't they give me that at the very least?

The binds on my good arm are undone, and a burst of rage forces my claws to fully extend as I lunge for the black demon's throat. Yowling as I already lust for the smell of blood.

But right as my claws slash at his throat, some other black demon grabs my arm and slams it down on the table. I can't but smile though, a whiff of blood mixing in with all the salty sweat.

"Know your place subject!" I growl at the man holding me down, before bursting up and trying to bite his neck. He panics lets go of my arm. A thrill bursting through my blood as I push him even farther away.

I immediately set to work on getting the other arm out of the binding when I hear the distinct pull of a bow, my blood chilling.

"Sheath your claws, don't test our patience even more." Glaring at the black man holding the bow, I begrudgingly let my free arm fall to the side.

And I gasp as my mind as finally caught up to what I just did. I could've gotten one of my friends hurt by attacking so blindly like that! I can't attack these people, as terrible as that is, until we're breaking out of here. It's entirely pointless to do so and it's just going to bring more pain and make us weaker.