Chapter 13

The steady churning of the wheels slowly lulls Charlotte to boredom.

She stands straight on her feet, her eyes dead as her hands hold a machine gun limply.

The train jumbles back and forth, making Charlotte sway on her feet.

Still she doesn't move from her place.

"Do you know how much time we're going to be in this train?" James questions, turning to look at her, his look questioning.

Charlotte shrugs limply, shifting her gun before turning to look from the wall to him.

"Shouldn't be long. Fron what I heard San Fransisco isn't that far from Long Pine" She says in a monotone voice, boredom oozing out of her.

"Charlotte, James!" A voice calls out from outside the room.

The both of them snap in the direction of the voice, Charlotte's brows furrowing slightly.

Ford waves them over, a flashlight in hand as he walks around the now dark train platform.

The sun had set a while ago, and now the train was surrounded by the dark forests.

Ford waves them over again, the nuclear warhead displayed in front of him.

Charlotte nods, stepping forward and out the door, James trailing behind her.

"What's going on?" She questions once she's outside, eyeing the nuke.

Ford waves her over, leaning over the open timer of the bomb.

"Come and give me a hand" He motions.

Charlotte un clasps her gun and hands it over to James without a second thought, walking over to Ford and leaning over to look at the insides of the nuke.

"I thought these Nukes all detonated by remote control" A soldier says, leaning over to look at the timer that Charlotte and Ford are trying to set.

Charlotte grabs the flashlight from the Soldiers hand roughly and hands it to James without a word, who instantly gets where she's going at and holds it above both of their heads, lighting us the entire compartment of the nuke.

"The MUTO'S knock out everything electric" Charlotte begins, grabbing the top off the nuke and starting to slide it off with a grunt.

"Including detonators like this one" She continues, sliding the top off completely before letting out a breath.

"The thing is you can't even get in range without these things going haywire" Ford continues, grabbing the large controlers and shifting them into the cavity of the nuke before standing up and looking at the soldier.

"But this?" He questions, patting the metal hull "This on the other hand is old schoool. Clock work"

Charlotte nods, sliding the top onto the nuke and setting it in place once again.

" Takes a lickin', keeps on ticking" The soldier finishes, looking at Charlotte and Ford with a smile.

Charlotte nods, opening her mouth to speak when a explosion sounds behind her.

James turns to look up, his smirk fading away completely as he turns to look at the mountains in front of them.

Charlotte turns around as well, and everyone goes silent as they stare at the various explosions going off at the top of the mountain.

Something was clearly off.

Charlotte frowns, turning back to look at James and the rest with a questioning look.