Chapter Twenty-Three: Starlight Celebration, Pt 1

Start from the beginning

Byron appeared in a crimson flash of energy and regarded Arnet with a stern look. "You're waiting for me," he said, stepping out of the circle, removing his cloak. He also flipped his amulet over in a swift motion. It was always the first thing he did upon returning to the Spire.

"I went to speak with Myr'frond and witnessed something quite exciting," Arnet said, holding up the piece of hair.

"And how was your pet?" Byron asked, taking a seat and pouring himself a drink.

"Dead," Arnet answered, sitting back in his chair.

Byron's eyebrows shot up. "Something killed him?"

Arnet shook his head. "Someone. A few someones." He frowned. "They also killed Val'esis and his mate."

Byron groaned. "That's unfortunate... we still needed them." He relaxed his fists. "Who?"

Arnet held out his hand, the single lavender hair resting on it.

Byron picked it up and focused on it for a moment, eyelashes fluttering. His eyes snapped open to see Arnet smiling.

"I told you I could find one," Arnet said, his sharp chin held high.

Byron stared at the hair between his fingers. "Gregorio?" His shoulders tensed, and his face turned to a scowl.

Arnet looked confused, frowning at the name. Gregorio. He remembered the name, but only vaguely, and he did not know where he had heard it before. One of Byron's musings, possibly. "He positively glowed..." He smiled, with a predatory look in his eyes, before clearing his throat. "Had two women with him, as well. Both were magically inclined. An amerlyian and a raven-haired half-breed." He frowned. "Also a construct of the Ihmu'tahd. One of their guardians, I believe."

"Think they are Ilixian?" Byron asked.

Arnet shook his head, pale hair shaking across his too-thin shoulders. "No. They bore no markings... and they had too much fear in them."

"Where are they?"

Arnet shrugged. "I don't know. I simply wanted to alert you of their existence."

"Let me know if you should happen across them again."

Arnet smiled. "Of course. You should know, as well. One of the women. Her magic matched the essence that was left in our library."

Byron's jaw clenched. "Then I would very much enjoy meeting her."

Avris' throne room was as spectacular as it had been on their first visit, as was the lady Avris

Avris' throne room was as spectacular as it had been on their first visit, as was the lady Avris. She was dressed once again in a sheer dress, this one the color of the forest after a rain. She smiled as they bowed respectfully, holding her hands together in front of her. "You have completed our deal?" she asked, her voice soft but serious.

"We have," Katerin replied. She opened her bag and Fykes reached in, pulling Val'esis' head from it. That was the nifty thing about a bag with nearly endless space—nothing got messy.