Chapter 53 - Decisions

Start from the beginning

 "Look," he sighed. "All I'm saying is that maybe we shouldn't just sit around and wait for the next bad thing to happen."

 "So what does that mean?" I questioned, a heat running up the back of my neck. "You want us to - "

 I broke myself off, my body going rigid and an unwilling anger riling up in my chest. I got to my feet, staring at my brother with disbelief. Eric got to his feet as well, holding up a hand as if that would diffuse the tension.

 "Emma,"

 "No," I snapped. "No,"

 "Just hear me out - "

 "I'm not leaving my friends." I stated. "Not after everything we've been through,"

 "I'm not expecting you to," he said. "I just want you to take it into consideration, okay?"

 There was nothing to consider. I've been through too much with all of them to just leave them behind, and especially now more than ever after losing Allison. I can't just walk away from them like that. 

 "Look, I've been in contact with Cora," started Eric. "She said there's room in her pack if we wanted to go down there. Or we could go anywhere else, it doesn't matter. Just so as long as it's far away from here,"

 I turned my head away, folding my arms across my chest and fuming at my brother. I hated that he brought Cora up. He knows how much I miss her, and sure, I'd love nothing more than to have her back again, but I don't think I could give up my friends for it. I couldn't give up Stiles. 

 "Too many bad things have happened to us here, Emma," said Eric. "This place has been haunted from the start. So much has been taken from us because of this town,"

 "This town, or the shit in it?"

 "It's the same thing and you know it," he said flatly. He gave a heavy sigh. "We need out of here. This place is a trap,"

 "This place is our home," I said.

 "It's your home, not mine,"

 I pursed my lips, looking away and shaking my head at him. I couldn't believe he was acting this way, after how far he'd come in being my brother again. This was the old Eric, the Eric that would run and hide from all his problems.

 "So what?" I started. "You're just gonna run away again, take off and not say another word for three years? You're just gonna leave me here to pick up the pieces by myself again?"

 My voice was rising, and I didn't care. I was mad, no, I was furious. 

 "Allison is dead, okay?" I snapped, pointing my finger. "She's dead and I'm not okay about it, but you're just gonna run and leave me behind like you did before?"

 "I'm only going if you are, Emma," he said. "That's the deal I made with myself. I promised I wouldn't make the same mistakes I did before and I'm holding to that. If you want to stay, then we'll stay. But, let me just tell you that there is way more danger here than anyone realizes,"

 My chest was heaving with emotion. Of course I don't want to leave my friends, but there's this part of me that knows he's right. Beacon Hills will never be safe, and I don't think I've ever felt entirely at peace here. Everywhere I turn there's somewhere haunted with a memory. 

 My family died here, in this town and because of this town. I died here. Allison died here. Brittany died here, at my hands none the less. Memories like that will never go away. I'll never be able to forget watching the light leave their eyes, especially as long as I'm surrounded by so many things that remind me of it.