How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 13

Chapter 13. The Pool of Tears

The arrival of her son acted as a bracing tonic for Mrs. Hale, and for the next several days she had color in her cheeks and a renewed interest in life. Fred spent most days in her room by her bed, holding her hand and telling her stories about his life in Cadiz and the people who had been so kind to him. Mrs. Hale would watch his every expression, and when she fell asleep, would hold tight to his hand so that Fred must stay by the bed lest she wake. After a half an hour or so, when she was deep in the throes of sleep, Mrs. Hale would loosen her grip, and Fred would be free to come downstairs and spend time with his father and Dixon, or Meg when she returned from her work in the clinic.

When he first heard of Meg spending time tending to the needs of the poor in Milton, he frowned and exclaimed, "Why must you spend your time in those horrible parts of town, Meg? Is there not enough for you to do here?"

"For shame, Master Fred," Dixon exclaimed one day, a scowl on her face, as her brother took Meg to task once again. Meg and Fred sat in the kitchen with Dixon while she fixed a tray for Mrs. Hale. "Your sister uses her time and talents to help those in need. Leave her be."

Fred started in surprise; never before had Dixon taken Margaret's part over his own. "I'm sorry," he stammered, "I just thought that her time might be better spent here in her own home, tending her mother."

"And so she does," retorted Dixon, filling the tea pot with hot water. "Many a night has she spent checking on how the mistress fares, and concocting all sorts of brews and tisanes to help her breathe easier and sleep through the night."

Fred looked so taken aback that Meg laughed and ruffled his hair. "I know that you mean well, dear brother, but do not attempt to read me a lecture. You should know by now that I do as I please, and it pleases me to work with Dr. Donaldson."

He grimaced, but laughed in turn and, leaping up from his chair, snatched his sister into a rib-crushing embrace and kissed her loudly on the cheek. "You have always been strong willed, Meg. I have just never known you to care for the poor and disadvantaged as you do now, or to spend the amount of time among them that you do."

She told him he was a great fool, and pinched his cheek hard so that he chased her around the kitchen table to reciprocate, much to Dixon's consternation. She was about to read both of them a thundering lecture when a knock was heard on the front door, and all three of them froze.

"Who could that be?" Meg asked blankly, looking with consternation from Fred to Dixon's blank expression. Placing a finger on her lips to warn Fred to remain where he was and be quiet, Meg ascended the steps and opened the front door a crack.

Mr. Thornton stood on the front step, a basket of fruit held in the crook of his arm.

"Good afternoon, Miss Hale," he said politely. "I met Dr. Donaldson in the street yesterday, and he told me that your mother's appetite had waned. I took the liberty of buying her some fruit in the hopes that it might tempt her to eat."

Meg's eyes kindled with admiration. "Oh, Mr. Thornton, how kind you are." She reached forward to take the basket from him, but he hesitated in giving it to her.

"I thought I might come in and pay my respects to your parents," he said stubbornly.

Meg looked at him gravely. "My mother is in bed, Mr. Thornton, and my father is not home. I am afraid that now is not a good time to visit."

His face took on a look of cold offense. "I thought I would be welcome in your house, Miss Hale, despite our...differences."

"And so you are," she returned evenly, "but as I have explained, my mother is not up to company, and we are overwhelmed with her care."