Chapter 51 - Silence

Start from the beginning

 "I can try," I said with a heavy sigh.

 "Okay, just try to focus on the sounds around you," I said, crouched down in front of Meredith. She looked back at me with a certain determination in her eyes. "Focus on what you're hearing. Focus on the silence,"

 "Listen to the silence," added Stiles.

 "Focusing on the silence," I continued.

 "Listening to the silence," said Isaac.

 "Okay, with you both just let me handle this, please?" I said, looking at them on either side of me. I raised my eyebrows at them, causing them both to snap their mouths shut. "We need her to focus,"

 From what little I know about banshees, and the experience I have with Lydia, I think I could be onto something with Meredith. We just need her to block out everything else and focus on the sounds no one else can hear, not even the werewolves. If it comes down to it, I may even need her to scream.

 "Isn't anyone gonna get that?" Meredith asked, furrowing her brows at us.

 "Get what?" I asked her. I could feel Isaac and Stiles glance at each other from behind me.

 "The phone," she said.

 "What phone?" Stiles asked.

 I felt around in my own pockets, but I had left my phone down in the living room after I talked to Eric. I nudged Stiles, pointing to his jacket pocket. "The phone," I whispered. He slowly pulled it out of his pocket, but kept his eyes on me, unsure of what to do. Answer it, I mouthed.

 "Oh, yes, my phone," said Stiles, bringing it to his ear. "Hello?"

 He trained his eyes on Meredith for a moment before looking at me from the side. I bobbed my head towards Meredith, indicating for him to pass the phone to her. This is just a part of how banshees communicate with the supernatural universe.

 "Yes, actually, she's uh...she's sitting right here," Stiles improvised. "He took the phone away from his ear and held it out to Meredith. "It's for you,"

 She took it, pressing it to her ear without a second thought. The three of us leaned in, eager for her to reveal what she heard. After a few quiet moments, she put the phone down and handed it back over to Stiles.

 "They say, coup de foudre," she said.

 "Coup do what?" Stiles stuttered. "Coup - is that, is that Spanish?"

 I knew it wasn't Spanish, but I wasn't quite sure what it actually was. It sounded almost Italian, or Latin even. It kind of made me wish I had continued on with linguistics classes this year like Eric had told me to. 

 "French," We all turned around to see Scott standing in the doorway. "It's French,"

 ✞

 I stared out the window from the backseat of Stiles' jeep as we made our way to the old Japanese internment camp on the far side of town. Scott connected the French saying Meredith gave us to the story Noshiko told him and Kira about Oak Creek and the Nogitsune.

 It was night now, and we needed to find Lydia before dawn. The Nogitsune is using her as a warning signal, since she's an omen for death. As long as he has her, he'll be able to tell when the Oni are coming and can hide from them.