Chapter 21

Having just eaten lunch, Paul and Kathy were now sat in the much comfier living room. They talked with ease now. Paul still marvelled at how well she had taken the news about his involvement in things.

"Ok Kath," he said, "Let's get down to details. DO you have an idea when you want to move from here?"

She was laughing at him. "What's with the Kath?"

"Don't you like it? Sorry."

"It's not that, just no one has ever used that before. I don't mind it though."

Good, Kath you shall be. Now answer the question."

"When? I've not definate idea but I guess as soon as possible really. But I haven't looked into where or how I'd get to where I want to go.Without the finances, I've been stuck in limbo!"

"Can I put a suggestion to you then. It's something George wanted me to ask you OK?"

"Go on."

"George was worried about you going off somewhere all on your own. Especially now. He thinks, and I'm inclined to agree, that you need to go somewhere where you will have people to support you."

"But that's the problem," she whispered, tears coming into her eyes, "The only people I have who could do that are mum, dad or Lucy and they're the three people who are trying to make things so hard that the Mother and Baby place is the only option!"

Paul nodded sympathietically. "What about Liverpool. Somewhere not far from Louise and Harold Harrison?"

"You mean George's mum and dad?" She shook her head, "There's no chance! I couldn't impose, not after all the stress this whole thing will have caused them. I couldn't Paul." She looked at him for a moment. "Did George really suggest that? Me in Liverpool?"

Paul nodded slowly. "George still cares a lot about you and what happens to you Kathy. I know he'd like to have some kind of contact to know you're OK for as long as possible. I also know he'd like to have some part in the life of the child, even if it's only photo's every so often."

Kathy was stunned. "You're serious? I thought George would have wanted us as far away from him as possible!"

"Ok. This is a different option. This is my idea but George liked it too. London."

"London? Paul, are you mad. I couldn't afford to rent somewhere in London. Not decent enough to bring a baby up in anyway!"

"That's not true," said Paul solemly, "I know a place. Three Storey Georgian Town House, St John's Wood. Good transport links for when you're working. A nice, clean, well kept house. Gardens all the way round. Good high secure walls and locked gates. Even babysitters on site if needed! Perfect."

"Sounds wonderful but I asked George to help me not set out to bankrupt him!"

"This wouldn't cost you a thing."

"What's the catch?"

Paul looked at her. "I want you to consider this properly Kathy OK." He took out a photograph of a very impressive Georgian house. "This is the place. What do you think?"

"It's lovely!"

"OK, so look at the top floor. There's four rooms already there. One is a small bathroom. Then there's another room, make a lovely nursery. The middle room there could be your own private sitting room and that one on the end, a bedroom. Well? What do you think?"

Kathy looked at it wistfully. Already she was imagining painting the nursery walls a cheerful yellow. Then tthe gardens, her baby could learn to walk there.... "Kathy?" Paul tapped her hand to get her attention.