three

"So are we hanging tomorrow?" Mary asked Ruby as they continued to finish their abstract painting in class

"So are we hanging tomorrow?" Mary asked Ruby as they continued to finish their abstract painting in class. "I can't i'm working tomorrow" Ruby responded back to her.

"Can't you tell your boss that it's an emergency?" Mary wanted to spend time with her best friend, they haven't had the time lately to see each other. "He warned me if I miss work again hell fire me and I can't risk to lose this job" Ruby said "How about Saturday?"

"Fine but we get to watch a movie I want to watch" Mary said as Ruby nodded her head. 

"Okay class brushes down!" The art teacher commanded as everyone put down their brushes. "Since it's a new school year and we don't really know each other, I thought it would be fun to put you guys in pairs to work on this project" She said as everyone groaned. Let's be honest here no one likes to be partners with someone you don't know.

"You would spend 2 weeks with your partner. Hanging out with them and really get to know them. Your job would be to create anything that describes your partners personality. Ready to find out who your partner is?" The art teacher brought out her clipboard.

"Okay so the partners are:
Tony and Breanna
Tommy and Paris
Bobby and Mary
Franny and Steph
Ray and Grace
William and Ruby. Everyone please get together with your partner"

"Shit I have Bobby as my partner" Mary cursed at herself as Ruby gave her a pat on her back for good luck. Ruby turned around and noticed William wasn't in his seat. Ruby put her hand up.

"Miss can I go and find William, he isn't here?" Ruby asked the teacher as she nodded her head. Ruby went out to find her partner.

She looked all over the place and still couldn't find him. She was about to come to the conclusion that he left the building. Just as she was about to return to the classroom she started to smell something.

It was the smell of cigarettes and Ruby HATES the smell of it. She went ahead and decided to find out where the smell was coming from. It lead her to a secret room in the school. No one knows about or ever dares to enter, apparently Mary told her that it was even haunted.

Ruby opened the door and peaked her head through. She immediately saw William sitting in the ground while smoking a cigarette.

"What is going on here?" William was startled by Ruby's voice but didn't do anything. He gave her the cold look and continued to smoke his cigarette.

"You know you should be in class right now" Ruby closed the door and walked closer to him. "And why do you care?" He asked her in a cold tone. "Because we're doing a project in class and we're partners" Ruby said as she took a seat next to him.

William didn't like her presence so he scooted a little just so that she wasn't too close to him. "Smoking is bad for you" Ruby spoke up.

"Who cares, it helps me through a lot of things" Ruby tried her hardest to not inhale the smell, she knows how bad it is to do that.

"But you're hurting yourself" Ruby said as William immediately stood up. "WHY DO YOU CARE IF I HURT MYSELF OR NOT?! I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!" William snapped.

Ruby calmly got up and headed for the door. She turned around to face him for one last time "Because it hurts me to see someone basically kill themselves when I can see the good in them" Ruby gave him a small smile and walked away.

William sat back down and stared at his lit cigarette that was in his hand. Ruby's words were suddenly repeating in his head. After a couple seconds William dropped the cigarette and stepped on it.