“I’ve noticed he hadn’t been in to see you for a few days.”

            Kaelyn regarded me with a puzzled expression. “I didn’t know you were paying attention to Aaron’s visits.”

            I felt my cheeks redden.  I had been, but not because I was looking for Aaron.  I was wondering when David was going to stop by next.

            Not that I wanted him to, I quickly reminded myself.  David was annoying and a werewolf, two things that never made for a good mix.  So what if he was attractive?  Lots of guys were attractive.

            I realized I still had to answer and that an awkward silence hat filled between us.  Trying to play it off with a joke I said, “I only noticed because you didn’t ask for me to cover for you while you leave early and take your dog for a walk.”

            She laughed, and the awkwardness dissipated. “Take my dog for a walk?  That’s a new one.”

            I shrugged, a smile pulling at my lips. “You should hear some of the jokes at my family parties.  Imagine a ton of intoxicated, racist witches making jibes at werewolves.”

            “Sounds like quite a party,” a deep voice injected.

            Kaelyn and I both jumped and turned to the source of the familiar voice.  David smirked at us from the other side of the counter.  My eyes locked in on his brown orbs, and I felt my pulse pick up.

            “I’ll have to go to the next one,” he added calmly.

            I liked my lips. “That’s probably not a good idea,” I managed to say while I tried to control my thumping heart.

            He chuckled, his eyes remaining fixed on mine.  My breath hitched in my throat and I couldn’t figure out why.  He seemed too calm, too relaxed; it unnerved me.

            “David,” Kaelyn greeted, jumping me into breathing again, “what are you doing here?  Weren’t you supposed to have left by now?”

            His eyes lingered on me for a moment longer before he turned to her and smiled. “We had to make a stop before leaving.”

            Her eyebrows furrowed. “A stop where?  And why?”

            “Here,” he answered before flashing his eyes back to me, “to say goodbye.”

            I could tell Kaelyn was about to respond when her attention was pulled outside.  She smiled and I turned to watch Aaron walk through the door, the bell jingling loudly behind him.  Aaron walked to the side of the counter to the little waist high door that separated the counter from the café and pulled it open.  He walked up to Kaelyn behind the counter, pulled her close, and kissed her.  I watched as their auras shimmered to a pink and bled together—a mark of couples in love.

            David coughed loudly.  Aaron pulled back a moment later.

            “Right,” he said, “we don’t have much time.  We have to catch up with the pack. Can we talk?” he asked Kaelyn.

            My coworker turned to me and bit her lip. I waved my hand dismissively and rolled my eyes, giving her permission to have a few minutes with Aaron.  They had some stuff to talk about.

            Which left just David and I at the counter.  I gulped and turned my back on him, looking for some busy work to do. I wished there were more customers in.