WX-78 x Reader

(In this you're 25-35, since that seems like the average age of adults in Don't Starve)

You were a collage drop out, a failure. You weren't particularly sad by this, you learned how to accept it. People would often pity you and ask if you need a loan or money, you would just politely decline. You lived in a poor town, there were small stores that would often shut down in a year or two. You and many others had to rush to the city to do hard labor with little reward.

Recently you were trapped in an isolated place with some others. Most of them were like you, unimportant to society. Poor, hated, societal abominations, or hermits. You were polite acquaintances with them, although, you did take interest in one... a robot named WX-78.

He was a little short 4'10ft. His voice was high pitched and metallic. He was made out of brass, copper, etc. He was very demanding and cocky. In your first interaction with him you two were sent grave digging by Ms. Wickerbottom. He pointed to a grave and said 'Heh. That one died! Classic human mistake!' You instantly burst out laughing at his comment.

Today you were send to look for food, primarily rabbits, by Wigfred. Your robot companion was whining about the task but did it anyway, in fear of getting attacked by her. You both strolled away from the campsite into a near by forest.

You both soon found a bunch of rabbit holes and quickly setup traps. You went to some near by berry bushes to pick some berries. After picking the 'decent' looking ones you scanned the area for WX-78. You found him crouching down, staring at the one trapped he setup. You walked up behind him and looked down at the metallic being.

"Hey, WX, what are you doin'?" You asked with a calm tone. He didn't take his eyes off of the bunny trap.

"WAITING FOR A RABBIT." He replied in his monotone voice. You rolled your eyes and squatted down next to him.

"Ya know... it probably won't come out if you're so close to it. How about you help me with getting berries." You spoke out calmly. He looked slightly annoyed.

"FINE!" You only snickered at his response. He stomped off to a near by berry bush and started to pick. You did the same.

An hour has passed and most berries were either picked or eaten by gobblers. You looked over to see WX standing with a squirming bunny in his hand and an over turned trap next to him. You ran over and peered over his cold shoulder. He could sense your presence and decided to introduce you to the rabbit.

"HIS NAME IS PAL. HE IS MY FRIEND." The bunny only struggled more once he said 'friend'.

"But isn't the bunny just a 'pathetic fleshling' like me?" You asked with a sly grin.

"HE IS ALSO MY MINION." You rolled your eyes at his claims.

"Anyways, we need another bunny for the group..." He raised his head and looked into your eyes. He broke the bunny's neck while keeping eye contact. He hold out the bunny to you. You were paralyzed with absolute shock. He just killed the being he called a friend. He reached out the bunny closer to you.

"IT'S FOR YOU, FLESHLING." You looked down and took it out of his frigid hands out of fear. You spun on your heel to avoid eye contact with the soulless machine.

"W-we sould head back, it's getting late..." He quickly stood next to you and you both started walking side by side. You could feel his metal eye sockets staring at you. You gulped and continued to walk while looking down.

Soon you both had made it to camp and immediately met with Willow.

"Did you two get enough?"

"Uhhh..." You were looking for words when WX spoke up.

"WE GOT YOUR FOOD, FLESHLING." He spoke with a stern tone.

"Great! Just put the berries in the chest and the rabbits in the pot. We'll cook the rabbits for dinner soon and split the berries evenly!" She spoke out. You nodded your head and you put the bunnies in the pot and WX put the berries away.

You didn't eat your dinner. The image of WX wringing the bunny's neck made you feel ill. That night you woke up in the middle of the night, it was fear that WX might kill one of the other humans. You heard foot steps and you looked up to see WX looking down at you.

"THE FLESHLING IS NOT OKAY." You squinted at his obvious observation. He sat down next to you in front of the hot fire. You kept thinking about ways to ease your worries, other than picking flowers.

You woke up to the early morning sun. You felt warm metal on your cheek. You opened your eyes to WX-78 that seemed to be shut down. You took a deep breath and stood up from your comfortable spot and went in your tent and grabbed a blanket from beefalo skin. You came out and wrapped it around WX. He didn't need it but it felt nice to do it, plus it made him seem less threatening. You turned and went into your tent.

"Maby you're not soulless..."

~END~

(I know he's not a popular character, at all, but he's my favorite soooo...)