Chapter 2- 3 Strikes, You're Out

The mouthwatering aroma filled her nostrils as she stared down at her gourmet breakfast. A sigh of dissatisfaction escaped her lips as she played with her food. Why couldn't she have a bagel or scrambled eggs in the morning like a normal person?

"Would you like another dish, Miss. Susan?" One of the hired chefs asked.

Susan gave a phony smile and forked a mouth full of food into her mouth. She chewed the seasoned meat as she watched the chef patiently wait for her response. Poor guy.

"I'm fine." She said in a sweet tone. "This will do."

"It better." Her father mumbled at the head of the table. His deep voice sending a chill down her spine. He shooed off the chef and continued with his banter. "We pay a lot of money so you can have a delicious meal. So eat up."

Susan rolled her eyes as she took a sip of water. Strike 1. I haven't even sat here for five minutes and already it starts.

"So Sarah, sweetie. How was your party last night?" Their mother asked. She was always one who cared about having a good rep. and having her family be the center of attention.

"It was wonderful. Everybody who's anybody had attended. They had a blast. They can't wait for my next party."

"Ah, there will be another?" Her father asked intrigued.

"Yes, next week actually. I need time to plan and find the perfect dress to wear. Speaking of which, I outshined every girl at the party last night." Sarah replied with a grin so wide, it looked as though she was going to crack her face.

"That sounds marvelous sweetheart." Their mother winked an approval Sarah's way. "Uh Susan...dear. What did your night consist of?" The tone in her voice turning to bitterness.

Susan shrugged. "Nothing really. I was out with Daniel then arrived home to find the entire place transformed. Oh, that reminds me the next time you decide to decorate the house, do me a favor and skip my room. It took me an hour to take it all down."

"So that's it? You only hang out with Daniel?" Her mother asked. "You didn't go to Sarah's party?"

"She wasn't invited." Sarah interrupted.

Both their mother and father snickered at the thought. Oh yea just laugh as though I have no feelings. That's such great parenting. Strike 2.

"I wish you'd do more with your life like your sister, rather than be cooped up in your room." Her mother pointed out.

Susan thought about the night before and what it really consisted of. The sexy clothing. Sultry dances she performed for lustful eyes. Ah much fun. She fought a smile from forming. "I'll keep that in mind."

"We just wish you'd take advantage of the luxuries you have."

And yet again they managed to make breakfast an unpleasant experience. Strike 3. "Look, I've heard all of this before so please spare me the lecture." Susan stood up at her seat and picked up her plate of food. "I'll be on the balcony if you need me...eating in peace."

            It's the same thing every morning. She'd eat breakfast with her family. They'd find a way to gang up on her or embarrass her. And in the end she'll leave to eat alone. Why her parents insist on her sitting with them for breakfast is a mystery on its own.

"So what happened this time?" Nina asked when Susan walked onto the balcony.

            Nina Harp, a good friend of Susan's but also one of the maids. She's around the same age as Susan, but really they're only a year apart. Nina being 21 years old. She's much like Susan, doesn't like nor care for material things, much prefers to be outdoors enjoying the feel of the sun on her skin, and what they value most about each other is their hatred of the Locke household. That's actually how they met 5 years ago, Nina found 15 years old Susan crying on the balcony. She had taken all that she could from her family that morning. Her tears continuously fell into her prepared meal, altering the taste. It was then that Nina offered the other half of her sandwich and what Susan needed most of all: a listening ear and real friend. Not those so called friends that attended her school.

            Nina wasn't like anyone Susan ever met in her life. Long, straight, purple hair with blue highlights, light brown eyes that viewed the world differently, olive skin that Susan wished she was born with, and parents that embraced their daughter's unique qualities. If they could switch places for one day, Susan would be at peace with the world. Since the first day they met it became a routine to eat amongst each other on the balcony.

"Oh you know the usual. How ungrateful I am and a ton of other bull." Susan replied as she took her usual seat.

"I don't know how you do it." Nina shook her head.

"Me neither." Susan stared at her plate of food that she barely touched. She frowned. "I'll trade you my breakfast for your salad."

Nina thought about the offer for a second. "Alright, deal." It's not every day she gets to eat meals prepared by professional chefs. She started to eat, savoring every bite. If there was anything she enjoyed most it was a great meal.

"So did you know that Sarah had a party last night?" Susan asked, breaking the silence.

"Why am I not surprised." Nina replied taking another bite.

Susan took a forkful of salad and scarfed the lettuce, chicken, and fruit mixed meal down. "I wasn't invited." She mocked.

Nina laughed and pushed her empty plate away from her. "Petty, little diva isn't she?"

"The worst."

"Well forget about her for a second. I'm having a little girls night out tonight with a couple friends. You're welcome to join us if you want." Nina said with the largest grin.

Susan shrugged. "Sure, why not?"

"Alright, perfect. It's at 9 tonight, we are all meeting at my place." Nina stood up and straightened her uniform. "I'd love to stay longer but it's best that I get back to work before your devil of a sister tries to find another way to get me fired."

"She did what?!"

"Ah, I didn't tell you? She lied and told your father that she saw me wearing one of your necklaces, claiming I stole it." Nina rolled her eyes.

"The one I let you have for your 21st birthday?"

"Exactly. Little does she know, we're friends." Nina took out the locket hidden behind her top and showed Susan the picture of the two of them inside.  Susan couldn't help but smile. "Lucky me, your father didn't believe her...much. He let me off with a warning."

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. Everything is fine. Just stop by tonight, I need to get back to work." Nina smiled and gave a little wave before she closed the sliding glass door behind her. Leaving Susan to eat alone for the first time, in a long time.