“Please Sir. We all know that kidnapping is prevalent these days. We would not do anything to harm ….”
“There is nothing I can do about this. I am sorry. I wish I could help.”
Beeba knew it was a chance Bala had been looking for. It was all his plan. She knew there was nothing they could do.
“This is what you have been looking for.” She said. “Just because I did not let you have what you wanted.”

“Please leave before I call the security. You will receive an alert. Thank you very much.”
“You will catch up with nemesis.”
“Please leave.”

That was how they were both fired. Three days later, Mangal went to the hospital and found his mother gasping. That was the last day she lived. She died in the night.
That was the most tragic moment of his life. She was the only one he had. He cried until he fell sick.
One week later, while he was at home, Hauwa came to see him. She had been supportive when his mother died.

She was a very slim girl , swarthy and not bad looking.
“I hope you are not starving yourself.” She had said.
“I eat.”
After a few words, she said, “Mangal, I have wanted to tell you this for a while.”
“Okay.”

“You know I have being patient even when you kept saying we had to put aside the wedding plan due to your mother’s health issues. I knew you were right. And now, you said you have lost your job. I sincerely sympathise with you but I cannot allow your destiny  to affect mine. I am sorry but we have to take a break. In fact, I have started seeing someone else and he is very serious. I did not want you to hear it from my parent but I feel you will be called to give you back your dowry.”

************
Mangal was dejected, frustrated and felt there was nothing more for him to live for. He was lucky that the small house he lived in was what he had inherited from his late father.
It was three months since he lost his job and he had run out of money. He had been trying to get a job to no avail.

He felt lonely, sad and scared of falling into depression. On that fateful day, he had come back after spending the whole day searching for a job when he heard the sound of a car  a car pull up in front of his house. He peeped. It was Beeba. He had not seen her for three months. She was elegantly dressed and he noticed that she looked better than the last time he had seen her.

He was just dressed in shorts. He quickly got up and wore his jeans. As he tried to put on his shirt, she knocked at the door.
“Just a moment.” He said and wore the shirt quickly. He went to the door and opened it.
“Hajiya Beeba, what a pleasant surprise.”
She smiled.

“What happened to your line? I have been trying your number.”
He smiled, hesitated before he said, “I lost my phone.”
But that was a lie. He sold it.
She went into his poorly furnished and small living-room. The sofa was cheap but beautiful.

“I thought as much. How have you been doing?”
“Glory be to God. How did you locate this place?”
“Have you forgotten that me and Abu Haneef came here when your mother passed away?”
“Oh, that is true. I was not myself then.”

“I know right.”
“Please sit down.”
She sat on a sofa.
“How are Alhaji and the kids?’

“They are good. Just lost a milk teeth today Haneef so when he smiles, you see the big gap in front.”
He chuckled.
“And you are making jest of him.”
“He deserves it. He used to laugh at my  grandfather who lost his teeth since before I was born.”

“Your grandfather is still alive?”
She nodded.
“He is alive and still walks by himself.”

“Whoa! You are lucky.”
“Masha Allah. I could not let you know that I got a job with Greenland Oil Company. Abu Haneef’s friend helped me out.”
“Alhamdulillah! That is great. I mean you stepped up. That is a quantum leap.”

“It is indeed and apart from the good salary, the working environment is serene. There is no one harassing me. What do you do now?”
He took in a deep breath.

“Still in labour market. I wrote seven applications last month. I have not been called yet but I am still trying other places. You know how it is to get a job these days , especially when you have got no one upstairs.”
She felt sad about this.

“Oh my dear. I am so sorry about that. It is so sad because you have a good CV.”
“Nepotism determines CV except if you are exceptionally lucky.”
“I know right. Abu Haneef said those of us who applied were nine thousand and only twelve were picked.”

“What? Your husband’s friend must be very strong.”
“He is a personnel manager there.”
“I grab. Congratulations.”
“Thank you. It must be hard for you.”

“It is a phase of life. At least my only responsibility is me. There are people in such situations that have families to take care of. What if this had happened when Mama was alive? How could I have taken care of her hospital bills?”
“May her soul rest in peace.”

“Ameen.”
“I was on my way home. I just felt I should check on you. You must have a new phone. You can’t be in the labour market without a phone. How would they contact you?”
“That is true. I used to put my SIM card in a friends phone after every two days to check my messages.”

“What if the call is an emergency? Like they call you for an interview the next day?”
He nodded. He was so hungry that day he made feeding the top on priority list.
“Have this.” She gave him an envelope. “I think I still have your number. Thank you for saving my life.”

It was after she left he opened the envelope. It as a bundle of one thousand naira notes.
One hundred thousand naira!
He went out immediately and went to Maman Gambp’s shop.
She was a grocer. She frowned immediately she saw him.

“Maman Gambo.”
“Hmmm.” She answered with a stern expression.
“Do you have noodles and eggs?”
“I can’t sell on credit again Mangal. You owe me eight hundred and sixty-five naira.”
He smiled.

“I know. I am not here to buy on credit. I am here to pay you.” He gave her one thousand naira.
She smiled.
“Thank you. I hope you understand how it is. Things are hard these days. Baba Gambo…..”
“I need  a carton of noodles”
“Which type?”

“Indomie. The super pack and one crate of egg…..” He spent ten thousand naira on food. He also went and refilled his gas. Food was the top in the scale of preference.
The next day, he went to buy a fairly used Samsung S6 phone. He called Beeba to thank her and told her that he had gotten a phone.

But he still could not get a job. Looking for a job could be expensive. He had to keep updated online, spent on transportation , and many more.
Then the call came…….
************
Thank you very much.