CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Chapter Twenty-Six

“How much longer?” I ask, stomping my feet. The wind has a bitter bite, but the church blocks most of it. Nevertheless, I’ll wait here all night if I have to. If I can convince Reece to.

“Five minutes.”

I step around the corner of the church to get a better view of the road and Reece drags me back. “Julia, don’t be stupid. If he’s out there, he’ll get here. Walking out where people can see you won’t make him magically appear.”

I jerk my arm out of his grasp. He’s right and it pisses me off. At least it’s better than standing behind a building in the shadows like a coward.

I take deep breaths to sooth my anger and look out into the cemetery. It’s weird being here, even weirder knowing there’s a headstone out there with my name on it. Ironically enough, it’s where Monica’s is in my world.

I sulk in silence, kicking dirt as I look out behind the church. Dead tree limbs litter the forest, or what’s left of it. I can’t imagine a world without trees. Or animals. Or being in sunshine. Evan’s world wants that. What will they do to get it?

Reece lets out a loud exhale. “It’s time.”

“We can’t go. You don’t have the magic box.”

Reece pats his backpack. “Evan brought it in this morning when you were in the shower.”

I cross my arms. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“You heard Evan.”

“Five more minutes.”

We glare at each other in a show down. I lift my chin refusing to back down.

“I’ll carry you if I have to.”

“Oh, you’d like that wouldn’t you, player.”

“What the hell does that mean?”

I make my glare more penetrating, furious that the reference is lost on him.

“What are you still doing here?”

Reece and I whip around. Evan sneaks from the trees behind us.

“Evan!” I run to him, throwing my arms around his neck.

“Hey, I told you I’d be here.” He looks over at Reece. “But you’re not supposed to be. Why are you still here?”

“Your girlfriend’s a pain in the ass.”

Evan grins. “Tell me something I don’t know.”

I smack his arm. “What are we waiting for? Let’s go.”

Reece shrugs off his pack and opens it, handing Evan the black box and two guns. I look away, the sight making my stomach roll. I hope they won’t have to use them. Evan slips something into my pocket, the weight pulling down the hem.

My eyes widen as I look up at him.

“It’s real, not a tranquilizer.”

I shake my head violently. “No. No way. Get it out.”

“I hope you don’t need it, but it’s there if you do. Consider it insurance.”

Before I can protest, he turns back to Reece as they rearrange packs. He slings his over his shoulder. “Okay, let’s go.” Evan grabs my hand and squeezes, his warmth seeping into my cold palm.

“You’re coming back with me now, right?”

He looks down at me with a soft smile. “Yeah.”