Wanted

I lay under the big oak tree in my backyard. I take in the beautiful sky, where the sun was out, warming my face and hands. I look around, trying to spot shapes and figures amongst the fluffy white clouds. I take a deep breath, breathing in the cool spring air.

I turn my head to the left, gazing over at my boyfriend, Jake. He had his hands laced behind his head and his brown hair flopped down over his closed eyes. His chest rose and fell softly. He felt me looking and tilted his head to catch my eye, turning his lips up into a small smile, which I returned.

I looked back up to the sky, letting my thoughts run wild. Where would I be in 5 years? 10 years? I let my imagination conjure up a world where Jake and I got married and had 2 baby girls named Rachel and Quinn.

I was jolted out of my fantasy when I heard Jake stand beside me. I glanced up at him as he held his hand out to help me up, which I accepted. He pulled me up and we began walking back to the small, shabby house.

Once we got back inside, he pulled me to the front door. He stopped walking once we reached the front hall, taking both my hands in his, and he finally spoke.

"Paris, I'm sorry I can't stay longer. I know it kills you, but you know what your dad will do if he finds me here -- again."

"Believe me, I know. I just wish you could stay longer," I said, looking at the ground and frowning.

He slipped his finger under my chin and lifted my head so I looked him in the eye.

"Babe, you know I love you. I would stay here all day if I could. But, sadly, I can't. I'll see you tomorrow, though, when I come to take you out for birthday breakfast. Okay?" He said slowly, his brow creased into a look of concern. I had almost forgot it was my 18th birthday tomorrow. What a day that will be.

"I love you too. I'll see you tomorrow," I said, leaning up on my tip toes to give him a light peck on the lips. He smiles down at me and kisses my forehead before letting go of my hands and walking to the front door. He slowly opened it, waving before he stepped out.

I watched him hop into his truck and take off down the road before I shut the door and walked into the living room, plopping down on the couch and turning the tv on. I turned on my favorite show, American Idol, and watched the episode I had missed the night before.

I became so absorbed in Jenna and Caleb's performances I didn't even notice my dad come home and set his stuff down on the kitchen table just through the doorway to the left of me. He came in, sitting down in his armchair in the corner of the room, bringing a pile of paperwork with him.

Ever since my mom died 3 years ago giving birth to my stillborn brother, my dad has started working much more. Although his job as a lawyer did take a lot of work, he often was so engrossed in his cases that he would forget to eat dinner, or to shower. Watching him was like having a child, if that child didn't want you to date until you were 40 and insisted on sticking you in a private school.

I stood up and walked into the kitchen, pulling out a big pot, some spaghetti noodles, and sauce. I flipped on the burner and filled the pot with water, setting it on the burner to boil.

About 5 minutes later, the water was boiling and I dumped the noodles in, stirring every couple minutes as I was taught to. I jumped back, startled, when I heard a sharp knocking on the front door. I turned off the burner and walked up to the front door, looking out the window.

"Who is it?" I heard my dad yell from the living room. I ignored him and opened the front door to see a boy who looked about my age, maybe a year older. I allowed my eyes to scan over him from head to toe. He had shaggy blond hair and striking blue eyes, and was wearing a grey Ramones tee with a pair of black jeans. I finish my evaluation and move my eyes back up to his face, only to see him standing with a cheeky smirk plastered on his face. Embarrassed that he had seen me looking him over, I look away. He steps into the landing and shoves his hands into his pockets.

"Hey, babe. The name's Landon," he said, giving me another smirk.

I already hated him.

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the kitchen. I call to my dad, "It's for you, I believe," and turn to the sink to continue making my spaghetti.

My dad walked into the kitchen a few seconds later and walked down the hall to meet his guest. I strained my ears in hopes of hearing some of their conversation, but they were speaking too quiet for me to hear.

After a few minutes, I heard the front door shut and my father walked back into the kitchen a few seconds after that.

"Who was that, Dad?" I asked, glancing at him while continuing to cook my dinner.

"That's my newest client, Landon. He's been accused of murdering his brother," he replied, walking back into the living room. I finished up with dinner and set the table, spooning the spaghetti onto two plates and setting them on the table. We sit down and begin to eat in silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I said goodnight to my father after cleaning up the dishes, and climbed the steps to my room. I changed and brushed my teeth before grabbing my phone and climbing into bed. I sent Jake a text saying goodnight, then continued to scroll through Instagram for a few minutes. My phone buzzed in my hand.

Jake: Goodnight, beautiful

I smiled and set my phone on my nightstand before rolling over and drifting to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~