chapter three

"so, you two fixing things up?" pop asks as he walks over.

"no, not really. i just happened to be in his office when you called, and he insisted on coming."

"well, we are a family and family means a lot to him."

"i know." i sigh. "grandpa, i really don't want to talk about this right now. i just wanna focus on sean."

he nodded as he pressed a kiss to my forehead.

hours had passed, it was around two in the morning and we got nothing. doc said that sean's condition remained the same.

linda and danny told us to go home, against our wishes, and they would call us if they had an update.

"how are you doing?" rafael asks me as we start to walk out of the hospital. "this can't be easy on you either."

"it's my nephew, of course it's not. but, i'm fine." i sigh pausing in my footsteps as he stops with me, as the rest keep walking before i continue.

"it's just every time something happens, it brings bad memories of joe and losing him. not only for me, for everyone in this family."

"i know, i'm so sorry kel."

i then reached for him and hugged my husband tightly.

he wrapped his arms around me as he held me in his arms as we stood in the middle of the hospital lobby.

after a few minutes, i pulled away from our embrace.

"i'm gonna go stay at jamie's."

"okay. i guess i'll see you tomorrow then."

"i guess you will." i respond.

he presses a kiss to my cheek before walking away.

"wait," i was actually considering going home with him, but i backed off given that our situation needed a little more time. i just handed him my car keys instead. "here. don't take an uber or anything, especially from brooklyn."

"i used to do it all the time."

"rafael."

"you need it for work, don't you?"

"i'll have jamie drop me off at work tomorrow." i insist. "please."

"fine." he says accepting the keys in his hand. "good night cariño."

"good night."

he flashed a small smile at me before walking out of hospital.

i stood in the exact spot watching him walk out of the hospital, before going to catch up with my brother.

~~~~

five days later

"kel, where are you? cain's getting on the stand in twenty minutes." elliot says as i drive as fast as i could to the court house the next morning.