Battle of the Brazilian Library

Bắt đầu từ đầu

The woman raised an eyebrow in response, slightly annoyed. “That’s not exactly polite, hiding your face from view.”

“You’re one to talk, creature,” one of them hissed, its voice raspy from disuse. “You speak as though you are any better.”

For some reason, this seemed to amuse her. “Oh, so you know what I am? Is that why you’re here? It’s been centuries since someone tried to capture me against my will. You think you two stand a chance?”

“We know what you are,” the other hissed, its voice as equally displeasing as its tone. “You are to come with us.”

She turned to face them fully, seating herself upon the desk behind her as she crossed her legs, hands clasped on her knees. “And if I refuse?”

The creatures paused, tensing. “Then we shall not hold back. Our orders are clear.”

“Orders, you say?” She cocked her head, sizing them up. “Who do you work for? What business have they with me? And why,” she questioned, smiling sweetly, “could they not have come to collect me themselves?”

Their reaction was instantaneous, high-pitched angry screeching renting the air. The woman winced, but her smirk remained on her comely face. “Anger is hardly a presentable behaviour. How would your master feel if you lost your cool to mere words, knowing full well you represent him -- or her? I doubt they’d be pleased.”

The creatures shifted slightly, remaining silent this time. They knew her words to be true.  She continued, nonchalant in tone.

“How about we go about this civilly? Tell me what I want to know, and perhaps I shall cooperate.” She flashed a brilliant smile. “I’m nothing if not reasonable.”

They said nothing, their heads tilting, masked face as static as ever.

She sighed. “You Kabuki Creatures. Always annoying to deal with, always the same old tricks. I’ll ask you again.” Her gaze suddenly became steely, her tone icy in quality. “Who are you working for?”

Both instantly flinched, recognizing the ferocity of her words. Even then, their movement was barely noticeable; it did not escape her sight, however. She held her gaze, slanting her eyebrows in anger.

“I was always told ‘Silence is Golden’, but I’m afraid you’ll have to settle for silver today, gentlemen. You shall speak.”

Her gaze seemed to overpower theirs, burning with a ferocity despite not even making direct eye contact due to their masks. They seemed to be freeze momentarily, before breaking free of the binding gaze, screeching in protest. The woman merely blinked in surprise, an amused smile lighting up her comely features.

“Kabuki Creatures that can actually resist my commands? Interesting, I wouldn’t’ve thought your kind were possible of this. Tell me, who created you? They’ve done a better job than most others, that’s for sure.”

“We have no intention of answering you, creature,” the Kabuki-masked monstrosities screeched, shuffling slightly as they kept their stance. “You are to come with us, Li--”

My name is not to be spoken by the likes of you, beastlings.” Her tone was that of the coldest steel, and the Kabuki Creatures did not disobey. Her gaze hardened as a frown tugged at her lips, eyebrows knitting together in anger. “You refrain from telling me that which I ask? Very well. Then I have no use of you.”

She uncrossed her legs, hopping down from the desk upon which she sat, glancing back at the books she brought with her. Though she wanted this to be over quick, she refrained from utilizing them now. They would be a last resort.