Chapter 2 - Some Present.

About two years pass, and that was the only time I saw Austin. I never asked about him, I felt as though I would get punished for opening my mouth. And knowing Randson, if he knew that I was concerned about someone else's well being, he would use that against me in any way he could. He would hurt Austin to get me to do what he wanted....

Wasn't going to let that happen. But, I was so ever worried about him. At times I even feared the worst. However, anytime I was scared or worried, I would remember Austin standing straight and looking brave, and it helped me a bit.

"Therefore, what does x equal?" Jaquelin, my tutor, asked. The people here wanted me to know what someone my age should, at least academically. Jaquelin was the only person I trusted in this place. She showed kindness, which is scarce when you're a test subject.

"Uh... x would equal.. 6 or 3?" I answered. She smiled, nodding.

"Yes, good!" She looked at her watch, then after a couple seconds, glanced at the camera, of which the light wasn't blinking. She's done this before. The cameras were hacked. They would now be playing a loop of us doing quadratic equations, with no audio. Jaquelin looked back at me and smiled again.

Even though I trusted her, there are still some things I hadn't told her that had happened to me, out of fear that she'd get into trouble somehow. Despite that, she knew that bad things had happened, because sometimes I would glance up and see her looking at me with a concerned expression.

"Zina, do you know what today is?"

I thought for a moment. "Um, no Miss.."

She got up and went over to her desk, opening a drawer. "Today... is your 15th birthday!" She exclaimed quietly, taking out a beautifully decorated cupcake. I gasped, covering my mouth.

"Oh my gosh... thank you so much.." I said. She was smiling, carrying it over to my desk, when suddenly-

"No- put it away- now!" I said quickly, and she did just that, knowing exactly what was happening. The feeling in the back of my head had alerted me of someone coming.

We acted natural, when the door swung open. The colour must have drained from my face. The heavy footsteps came over, and the large hand grabbed my arm and hauled me to my feet. Jaquelin stood to the side, angry at knowing she wasn't able to get involved physically, but she could still argue.

"James- I was in the middle of a lesson, you can't just barge in here and-"

"That's Randson to you, and in fact, yes I can." He sounded impatient, he was near losing his temper.

He dragged me out, I gave a last scared look to Jaquelin before she disappeared from view. I looked up at Randson. He looked angry. Yet, he also had the look of someone who had a plan. The feeling in my head was going crazy- almost like- when I was going for... 'testing'...

He opens the door to another room and brings me in, harshly sitting me in a large chair. Before I can even try to sit up, he fastens the leather straps at my wrists. My eyes widen, and that's when I hear a voice close by, nearly crying, shouting "Stop!"

"A-austin?" I stutter, recognising the voice. "I-is that you?"

"Zina! Randson, don't hurt her! Please!" the boy shouted again. The anger and fear was audible in his wavering plead. I began to struggle against the restraints.

"Ah-ah-ah, I told you if you didn't comply there'd be consequences, now didn't I?" The man's voice taunted. I glanced over and saw at small table with a variety of tools on it. I start hyperventilating a bit.

Randson smirked at seeing my fear. He turned around, to get something from the table. I closed my eyes tight, tears at them already. But when he turned back around, the pain didn't come. I slowly opened my eyes, to see Randson staring down at me in fascination.

"Incredible.." He looked over, to I assume Austin, and when I moved my head, I saw that's exactly who he was looking at. His eyes were wide open, glaring at Randson. Though I could see the tears in them. I remembered that this is how he cloaked himself, by staring at someone.

"Your power has... grown.. Not only can you hide yourself but now," Randson looked back at me. "You can hide others too.."

So that's what was going on, Randson couldn't see me because Austin was cloaking me.

"Let her go, Randson.." Austin said. "And I'll... I'll let you do whatever you want to me..."

I gasped. "Austin- n-no... No d-don't do this I-I'll b-be fine-"

"Quiet!" Randson demanded. I stopped. He looked at the boy. "Is that so?"

He hesitated, but nodded. Confidently.

"Hm." Randson looked at where I should be, then at Austin. "Okay then." He came over and undid the leather restraints. I was surprised to say the least.

I slowly sat up. I looked at Austin, who I noticed was on the other side of a glass wall. I still looked terrified. The boy looks at me, and with a very slight smile, he nods to me. He still hasn't closed his eyes, so I'm still cloaked. I walked over and put my hand on the window, and he does the same. I nearly start audibly crying.

However... I noticed that feeling in my head still hasn't faded.

I see how watery Austin's eyes are getting. He blinks it away quickly, but then freezes.

"Oh no-" He starts. The feeling in my head suddenly spikes a bit, as the glass lifts up all of a sudden, a hand pushes me, and Austin is pulled to the other side again, before the glass wall goes back into place.

"Austin!" I stared at my friend. My heart's pounding. Randson had dragged him to the chair, and a guard had appeared. They strapped him to the chair I had been in moments ago. I watched, eye's wide in fear for the boy. The feeling in the back of my head was still going, however I myself wasn't in immediate danger.

It was going off... for Austin's sake.