7

Enough was enough.

As Cara woke up the next morning, she was fire and flame. Not just because falling asleep last night had been nearly impossible after Sin's little visit, but because today, it was all going to come to an end.

She was getting to the bottom of all this Sin business, come very possible Hell or high waters. His games had gone on for long enough, and today, she was going to find out the truth.

She had laid out a plan. After breakfast, she was going to tell her parents she was going for a walk, but in truth, she was going to go and find him. Sin. He showed up out of nowhere, so her theory was he could be summoned. She didn't know how yet, but she would figure that part out later. For now, all she had to do was get out of the house so she could be alone with him. That was the plan.

Cara walked downstairs for breakfast, feeling confident in herself. For the first time in what felt like ages, she gave her parents a genuine smile and sat down at the table with some hope. Her father was reading his usual morning paper while her mother was finishing the last few things for the breakfast table, removing a couple of bread slices from the toaster. Her brother was the only odd one out; instead of playing his usual gameboy like he always did, he was sitting in his chair with a tight grimace, arms crossed. Oh, what had he done now?

"Good morning," She greeted and sat down in her chair, just as her mom sat down with the bread basket and her father folded his newspaper.

"Good morning, honey," Her mother smiled endearingly, then reached for her husband's hand. As Cara did the same and reached for her brother's hand, he merely stared at it like it was the Devil itself. Too bad the Devil's hands were larger, warmer and had the ability to compel innocent people to sin.

"Sam, take your sister's hand," Their mother snapped, her cheerful voice shifting key. As she glared at Sam who continued to grit his teeth defiantly, it darkened even further. "Samuel."

"Do as your mother says," Their father bid in. Cara watched in astonishment as Sam all but growled back and uncrossed his arms. With a loud scrape, he kicked his chair back and stormed away.

"Samuel!" Their father boomed. His voice was thunderous. "Get back here, right now!"

"Fuck you!" He shouted over his shoulder as he bolted up the stairs and slammed his bedroom door. Cara jumped in her seat, completely shocked. Granted, Sam had been short with them lately, but storming off and cursing them off? That was most definitely new.

"What's going on?" She asked as her parents both sighed. Her mother looked down while her father shook his head.

"He got accepted into C.U yesterday, but we've heard more than bad word about that school," Her father told, gravely. "It's a party school and it's not appropriate. There are no good Catholic churches around and the school's right next to the beach."

"So... you told him he can't go?" Cara voiced.

"It's for his own good," Her mom spoke up, folding her napkin in her lap. "He's too young to know it, but this is about his future. He'll thank us later."

Cara stayed silent and decided not to argue with them. Sam was old enough to pick himself, but that was the thing... their parents were the ones who paid for their education, and if he didn't choose a school of their approved list, they wouldn't pay. Cara knew Sam had his heart set on C.U. It was his dream to get away for a few years and get some sun and surf in. He was young and their parents were right, he wasn't thinking about his future too much. He just wanted to have fun on the west coast.

"You don't have any work today, do you, sweetheart?" Her mom chimed up and broke Cara from her thoughts. As she shook her head, Cara immediately knew she was going to regret saying it. "I'd like you to stay home and watch Sam. We're grounding him until he finds his manners again, and we need you to make sure he doesn't leave the house."