Do You Even Care

”Did you really think that I cared about you?” His words sank into my heart, creating a burning pain in it. Tears formed in the corner of my eyes, making me bite my bottom lip, trying to keep the tears back. A wet feeling appeared near my bottom lip, making me slide my hand over it. Blood. Blood had appeared in a strip on the back of my hand. “Don’t start crying.” His words were harsh, I hoped that he did not mean anything by it, but his words hurt like the flames of burning candles. I looked around at the torn down building as my vision blurred, the tears were in the way. I ran up the stairs and into the hall that combined this building to another. I sat there, thinking in silence before he appeared from the end of the hall, looking at me with pity. The sound of glass shattering came and the floor making a weird noise, made a whimper escape from the back of my throat. I stood up slowly, my heart beating faster than a machine gun, filled my ears.

“Move towards me slowly Alexa.” His voice sounded almost worried. I looked at the floor, seeing a crack appear, my face turning pale as I took a step towards him, every single sound being louder as my adrenaline was higher than ever. The floor started shaking, the crack creating a hole, making it give up and fall. I jumped. Jumped towards him, his hand reaching out, taking a hold of my waist as we both hit the ground, my body lying on top of his. I had not gotten a single scratch, he had taken all the scratches and bruises to keep me safe. His arms wrapped around me tightly with one hand on the back of my head, his heart beating like a racecar as it drives through the streets. I could hear him breathing heavy, his whole body shaking as he pulled me away a little, to make eye contact. “I TOLD YOU TO BE CAREFUL.”

I leaned slowly into his arms as he scolds at me, not caring. I knew that he cared about me, but that he wanted to stay cold towards anyone, even me. I let my legs lift my body up before helping him up. I ran my fingers over his wounds with ease to see if any of them was bleeding, fixing those that did with a ripped cloth from my old flannel shirt. I grabbed my old bag, letting out a frustrated sigh before making my way to the roof, letting my eyes slide over the city, looking at every street and every window. The  city had grown more moss than ever, with a lake starting to rise. We fear that it might rise and take it all or if it would stop. A sound caught my attention, making me go back before running towards the end of the roof, jumping, letting gravity take care of the rest. It was the only time, I felt alive after what had happened years ago.