| eighteen. to resist temptation

☾     ☽

☾     ☽

            Dear diary, there has been an extraordinary turn of events. I've been abducted by my cousins and their friend from down the street and set adrift in uncharted waters in some ridiculous looking boat. What's worse is I share quarters with an obnoxious mouse thing. And I thought bunking with my cousin was bad enough. So far, every person I've met in this strange place suffers from the most florid delusions. Chasing green mists and looking for lost lords. I can only assume that this is the result of poor diet. Or they're all just barking mad. Cousin Edmund is no exception. He spends every second rubbing that tin sword of his like it's some magic lantern—that is, when he's not staring at Lydia, the girl from down the street. Poor fool clearly needs a hobby.

            A calendar might've come in handy, in Lydia's opinion. According to the tally marks she and Lucy had been keeping on the wall, it had been just over a month since falling into Narnia again. In that time, they hadn't found another island, but they had gained a new passenger—Gael, the daughter of Rhince from Narrowhaven. She'd snuck her way onto the ship and hid in a woven basket, only to be found during a duel between Eustace and Reepicheep that began with an orange. Lucy had taken her under her wing and since she crawled out of the basket, Gael slept between Lucy and Lydia in their quarters (which used to be Caspian's quarters, but he'd given it up to the two girls upon their unexpected arrival).

            Since coming across the port of Narrowhaven, not another island had been found. It had been only the seas, a few rainstorms, and the occasional ocean-dweller; that included mermaids, and Lydia was elated to finally see one. Her favorite fairytale was about a mermaid, and she wondered if any mermaids in Narnian waters were anything like the little mermaid in the story. It was shortly after the sighting that another island came into view, and Lydia could already tell it had more vegetation than Narrowhaven did. She could see the green of the trees from where she was on the ship.

            Whilst Edmund, Caspian, and Drinian spoke about it, Lydia found Lucy with a stack of books beside her and one in her hand. She smiled and said, "Hello, Lucy. What are you reading?"

            Lucy looked up and beamed as she turned the book to show her the cover. "Is Man A Myth? It's Mr. Tumnus', you see?" she said, opening the front cover to show her the inscription. "Caspian's professor gave him this and some other books," a motion to the others, "to keep him occupied. Gael found them in our quarters the other day and I asked Caspian if I could read them. He said yes, clearly."

            "Narnian books," Lydia commented. "That's fascinating."

            "Would you like to read one?" Lucy asked, already grabbing the stack. She rattled off the titles quickly. "I've got The Life and Letters of Silenus; Nymphs and Their Ways; Men, Monks, and Gamekeepers, a Study in Popular Legend—oh, I think you'd be more interested in Nymphs and Their Ways. Here," she said, handing the book to her. "That's the only other one from Tumnus' collection; Cornelius said all of his other books were gone."