| zero. something to believe in

❝the world finds ways to sting you, and then
one day, decides to bring you
something to believe in
for even a night.❞

( newsies: the broadway musical. )

            There has been rarely a moment where tragedy has not riddled Lydia Nowack's life

            There has been rarely a moment where tragedy has not riddled Lydia Nowack's life. The invasion of Poland, her homeland, killed her maternal grandparents. The very first night of the Blitz took her beloved mother from her and left only her wedding ring and locket unscathed. Her life was set in stone, tragedy after tragedy after tragedy. And there was a time when Lydia Nowack found solace in fairytales, in their happy endings and worlds where evil was defeated.

            Then she had to grow up.

            The fairytales in her mind disappeared, and the real horrors that surrounded her became clearer. The images that floated around in her head of places like Wonderland and Neverland became filed away in the back of her mind, where she never expected to open them again. Yet there was one fairytale that Lydia could never quite forget. It was a story her grandmother told and was her own little secret, her own world to disappear into whenever she wanted: a tale of a land called Narnia.

 It was a story her grandmother told and was her own little secret, her own world to disappear into whenever she wanted: a tale of a land called Narnia

ARIANE RINEHART as LYDIA NOWACK
BEN PLATT as COLIN NOWACK
JULIE ANDREWS as POLLY PLUMMER

( it's a me, mario! no i'm kidding it's cait rewriting her author's note for this part bc she didn't like the original, just before 2020 begins. welcome to something to believe in! i started this in, like, 2015 or so, then saw newsies in early 2017 on the biggest screen i've ever seen a movie on to this day, and on the way home scrolling through twitter ariane, lydia's faceclaim, happened to tweet something about being jewish, which was something i did not know about her before. however, the combination of the two had me start to brainstorm and i eventually decided to rewrite whatever i had written, this time with lydia nowack a young polish-jewish girl. and honestly, it's hard to believe i ever wrote lydia as anything but that. i only own lydia and her storyline, plus the members of her family that aren't polly plummer. polly and everything else recognizable from the chronicles of narnia belong to c.s. lewis' estate. this can also be found on my quotev account at /queenlucythevaliant. )