"What are you doing?".  He asked, obviously noticing my rather strange movements.

" Nothing.  I'll be with you in a moment".   I answered, trying to conceal what I was actually searching for.

He came towards me.

"Are you looking for something?".   He asked.

I shook my head as my eyes were now frantically looking for the damned pot before he came any closer.

" Shall I get a torch?".  He suggested.   "I have one in the car". 

There was no hiding it from Ashcroft. He knew damned well what I was doing! But with him going back to the car it would also give me some more, much needed time to look for the stupid painted plant pot.
I nodded my head.

" Thanks".   I answered him lamely, turning around to look at him.

He was now standing away from me a little, looking at the house with obvious interest.

"You know".     He then said, placing his hands into his trouser pockets,  "It would have made things a lot easier if they had an outside light, the type that comes on automatically when someone approaches ".   He said looking upwards.

" Oh Dad wouldn't have one of those".  I said,  "Says they're a security risk". 

I noticed Ashcroft was now staring at me, although it was dark, I could just tell that he was.

" And hiding the spare key underneath a plant pot isn't! ".  He then scoffed, before beginning to walk away.
  " Would have been simpliar if he had just given you your own key though".   He went on.
"Or doesn't he trust you".  

Ashcroft then proceeded to walk away, no doubt with a smile upon his face. I knew he was right of course.
Why didn't I have my own key?
I was actually an adult now!
I resumed in my search, hoping that when I did eventually find the darned pot, there would be a key beneath it.
I took in a breath.
Bet Sarah had her own key. I thought to myself.

" Found it yet?".  Ashcroft called out, as he came back up the path again.

Damn! He was back!

I lifted up another, what seemed like a brightly coloured pot and put my hand beneath it. Suddenly feeling the cold metal on my fingers I smiled with relief as I pulled out the front door key from underneath it.

"Got it!".   I said triumphantly, forgetting myself for a moment, as I got to my feet.

Ashcroft stood there without saying a word as I made towards the door. I hoped it was the right one and not the key to the door of Father's shed!

" Walla! ".  I exclaimed with both relief and happiness as the front door clicked open and I then walked inside.

Home at last! I now thought to myself as I switched on the light to the kitchen and then threw my bag onto the table.
Instantly I felt so relaxed as I crashed out on one of the wooden kitchen chairs and sighed deeply.
Looking back up again I could see that Ashcroft had not followed me inside.
I sat up.
The door was still open, but where was he?

" Ashcroft? ".  I said, leaning forward.

He then peered around the door.

" I didn't want to just presume. After all it is your parents home".   He said, almost apologetically.

I jumped up from the chair and went towards him. Then grabbing one of his hands I pulled him in.

"Don't be a numpty!".   I giggled.   " You're the reason I'm here".