Summer

♚♞♚♞♚♞

     JUNE

♚♞♚♞♚♞

            “Tonight was fun,” Stiles says, in his lazy tone. He rolls over on the grass and his eyes meet Derek's. They're lying in the middle of the lacrosse field facing each other. Derek has his chin on his hands, and Stiles casually pulls at some grass. “Do you think we can do this all summer?”

            Derek feels his lips tugging upward. He doesn't want to seem too excited about the prospect of seeing Stiles all summer—it might freak him out at just how much he would love that. Derek glances down at Stiles' moving hands, before he takes a deep breath. His eyes flash back up and he says, “I'd like that.”

            Stiles beams at him.

            Tonight they'd bumped into each other at Hale's Coffee. Derek hadn't been working, but had stopped by to give his sister a message from their mother. He'd turned around at Stiles' laugh and found himself going over to small talk. Laura had definitely shouted to Cora, “Our big brother just went to talk to someone voluntarily!” as if Derek's that much of an anti-social person. She's not far off though. Stiles had let out a laugh and had shouted, “I've always been special to Derek, Laura. Leave him alone.”

            Derek distinctly remembers Stiles Stilinski from school. He'd been a year younger than Derek, but the most popular kid in school. He'd talked to everyone, cared about everyone, and had generally been liked. Jackson Whittemore had had a problem with Derek, but he'd always suspected that Jackson had been jealous. Everyone had chased for Stiles' attention (and had tended to get it) but Derek hadn't.

            That's one of the (many, Stiles had assured him) reasons as to why Stiles had started to ditch his friends to join Derek at lunch. He liked that Derek didn't give a shit about whether or not he was in the 'in-crowd' or what Stiles could do for Derek. He's still unsure why he would want anything from Stiles, but he'd liked hanging out with him.

            It had become a thing. Every Tuesday and Thursday, Stiles would join him for lunch. Derek hadn't been shy, but he's never been one to talk much. Sometimes Stiles would chatter enough for both of them, sometimes they would sit quietly, and sometimes they'd have a nice conversation. Derek had started to look forward to their lunches.

            It'd lasted for six months—a decent amount of grade twelve—before it started to dwindle down into Tuesdays or Thursdays. Then sometimes Stiles wouldn't show up. Eventually, Stiles stopped joining Derek for lunch all together.

            Derek had understood, he knew that Stiles had a busy social life. He hadn't been offended. However, he'd been in college for three years now, and he has other friends. Derek hadn't gone looking for other friends, he'd become quite comfortable on his own, but then Erica Reyes had stepped into his life.

            Erica is a force of nature. Actually, Erica's just a force all on her own. She had made Derek feel extremely comfortable with her quickly, and it'd surprised him. She'd introduced him to her boyfriend, Boyd, and their friend, Isaac. Derek's used to being around people, used to joking around. He's not necessarily the quiet boy he had been in high school anymore.

            Seeing Stiles had brought him back to the fact that Stiles had been kind to him when no one else had bothered him. Derek knows that if Erica had heard he'd passed up the opportunity to talk to Stiles now, she would lecture him for years to come.