Superbia

Superbia - Pride - Sin of corrupt selfishness

Jacob Davies had it all. He was running the family business which had turned into an empire. He was doing very well in the business world, and he managed to achieve all that before turning thirty. 

Two years ago, his parents had died. His brother had become even more reclusive and now lives in some undisclosed address. It was a shame about his parents passing. He didn't care much about his brother though. He was disgusted that he was even related to him. He couldn't cut him out of his life completely since his brother had stocks in his company. 

At least that meant, he didn't have to take care of him. If he didn't, he would be forced to babysit some young adult. He wouldn't be able to ignore him since the people would talk. But he did have the stocks and therefore, whatever happens to his younger brother was on him. 

As happy as he was, not having to deal with someone definitely below him, people were still talking. Thirty and still no romantic attachments. It wasn't as if he didn't care. It was more like, no one was good enough for him. He wanted someone who would be equal to him. Someone who deserved to be by his side. This weekend he was going to be meeting a woman who came from a good family and seemed to have the merits needed to be by his side.

You were fuming in the car. You didn't want to go to this meeting. You thought your parents understood that you were someone who wasn't interested in developing romantic relationships. You were going to be meeting some man, who your dad was 'friends' with. Business. This was all business. Your parents cared for you no doubt and you had no ill will towards them, but you did wish for them to accept all aspects of you, rather than trying to change the parts they don't like. 

The man's name was Jacob Davies. Age thirty. Light skin, black hair. You've seen the man before on television or on your phone. Successful guy, but was he a good guy? Everyone knew about his recluse brother who had never set foot outside. He knew about it, and would play it off as 'I try to help, but he pushes me away.' You didn't care if it was true or not. You could tell there was insincerity. Regardless, you were going to be on your best behavior and turn him down politely if he showed any interest in you.

Jacob had been waiting for you at the restaurant you were apparently going to eat. A recent college graduate and worked under your father's company. He looks at his watch impatiently. You were suppose to being here by now. He wondered what kind of excuse you would try and use. The traffic was bad or was trying to look pretty for today. Any person worth his time had to be able to maintain appointments.

Alas you arrived. You were dressed rather simply for the occasion but you weren't really a person who cared for fashion. You look around and see Jacob waiting there. You walk up to him and greet him.

"Sorry about making you wait. To be honest, I didn't hear about this until this morning." you tell him.

"I'm sure." he says in response. "F/n, right?" you nod. He offers you his arm. "We are already late. Hopefully our table is still reserved." You were already beginning to dread lunch. This man didn't know how to be polite. The restaurant still had you reservation and lunch was anything but pleasant.

Every time Jacob would ask your opinion or questions about yourself, it would end up with him talking more about himself. Annoying. No wonder why he was single. A man with money and power, with standards higher than the tallest building in the world and blind to his flaws. You managed to remain polite throughout but you finally were at the edge when he was paying the bill.

"You are okay F/n. Not at all bad. Not perfect, but not bad. Good family. Good school. Same background. You might even appeal to me more next time we meet." Next time? He was seriously thinking there was a next time. You see him opening his wallet to leave a tip. He put your hand on top of his.