hang out.

"yo!" dustin called when they walked in. everyone was either on the couch or in the kitchen. they all turned around saw max and el. lucas and dustin immediately resumed playing, mike smirked for about a half a second but covered it with an eye roll, which max saw, and will was staring at el. mike lightly slapped him on the arm, and he turned back around, embarrassed.

max went and sat on the couch with dustin and lucas, and el went in the kitchen and was met by will and mike. "where's the popcorn?" she yelled to dustin.

"it's not my house!" he yelled back. max snorted.

"figured you'd know, king of snacks." she said sarcastically. she then turned to will. "you have popcorn?" she asked.

"umm, yeah." he said, clearly nervous. he reached up into the cabinet and grabbed it, and el took it from him, lightly brushing his hand. "thanks," she winked, and went to the other room with max.

"i see what you're trying to do is working," max whispered to her. el laughed. "he's still staring." max said.

"good. let him." el said in return. max laughed.

mike and will came into the living room with the rest of the group.

mike sat down next to max, and will sat next to el. max turned to look at el, and el rolled her eyes. max tried to cover her laugh.

el shot a quick glance at dustin. "let's watch a movie!" he said.

"suggestions?" he asked.

max tuned the group out. she focused on her fidgeting hands, and reminded herself that this was casual and not a reason to be anxious. she took a deep breath, and realized how close mike was to her.

they decided on a movie that she had seen before, so she didn't really pay attention.

about a half hour in, dustin and lucas were in the kitchen arguing about some star wars movie over bags of snacks. "we're out of chips, going to get more," he called, and they were gone."

soon after that, el turned to max with a mischievous grin on her face. she took will's hand, and he blushed bright red. el smirked.

"you look pretty tonight, el," he stuttered. a laugh bubbled up in max's throat.

el suddenly stood up, her hand still intertwined with will's. "we're going for a walk," she announced, and her and will were gone out the door.

it was her and mike. after a few minutes of not talking, he laid his hand on her thigh. "you look good, mayfield."