invites.

"hey, man. party at my place." dustin said, walking over to mike's locker immediately after the bell rang. being one of the most popular kids in school had its perks, mike went to a party almost every weekend.

"yeah, sure," he mumbled, shoving his books in his backpack.

"el is gonna be there," he winked. mike rolled his eyes. even though it had been months, dustin still hadn't gotten over their breakup.

"shut up, dude. you know i don't like her," mike said, annoyed. he slammed his locker shut and the two started walking towards the exit.

"so who's the lucky lady?" dustin said mischeviously. mike appreciated dustin's knack for always making everyone laugh, but right now he wasn't in the mood.

"we'll see tonight." mike laughed.

"that's eight o clock!" dustin called as mike hopped on his bike and began to pedal away.

"i'll be there!"

max sat on her bed, reading a book. she usually had plans on a friday, but she was grateful she could just hang in for a night. her phone buzzed, and she saw a text from dustin. it read 'party at my house at 8. be there.'

max rolled her eyes. he said it as if she had no choice but to show up. she had nothing to do, so why not?

she opened the text and responded 'fine.' then, she opened up a text to her best friend el. she typed 'come over. we're getting ready for the party.' she set her phone down and continued her book. after a few minutes, her phone buzzed with a response from el. 'be there soon.'

---

in about a half hour or so, el had arrived at max's house. she had to fight with billy for a little while, but they ended up in her room, deciding what to wear.

el was half in max's closet, pulling out every dress she found, even ones max didn't know she had.

"how about this one?" el said, pulling out a cute, short yellow dress.

max's face went red. "i haven't worn that since 4th grade!"

"it can't have been that long. try it on!"

max rolled her eyes and took the dress. she quickly changed in the bathroom, and when she returned to the room, el's jaw dropped. max awkwardly shifted her weight. "is it that bad?"

"are you kidding? that's the one. its gorgeous. you have a pair of vans or something?" she asked.

"yeah," max said, and pulled out black and white checkered slip-ons.

"perfect! and..." el pulled out a light blue jean jacket. "done!"

max turned to the mirror. "wow. i don't look horrible."

"absolutely not." el smiled.