2

“What are you going to wear to the party?” Emmaline graced me with her presence today, unexpectedly, while I was at work. She casually strolled around my desk while looking through some files without any intent focus. I was busy typing away and organizing important matters.

“What party?” Emmaline gasped in shock.

“You work here and you don’t know?”

“Know what?” I was too preoccupied with my work to really pay attention to what she was saying.

“It’s the firm’s 50th anniversary on Saturday, and you’re so oblivious to it. And you call yourself an employee for two years? How despicable!” Now she was just mocking me.

I stopped what I was doing and told her in a slightly exasperated voice, “I think your brother’s free this hour, you can go see him now.”

“Oh Emmaline, I live with my dreadful brother for heaven sake’s. I’m here to see you. And in all the years that I’ve known you, it’s no secret you give minimal importance to fashion. Which is why I’m here.”

I gave her my full attention now. “It’s a work function, Emmaline. I always aim to dress simply and appropriately. I have a black dress which will suffice.”

She scrunched her nose in disgust. “Surely you don’t mean that plain black cloth you wore in our dinner party a year ago? Scarlett, you are a beautiful, young woman whose life is about to begin. No time should be wasted in looking dreadful and unflattering. Please, let me help you on this.”

Emmaline looked at me desperately, as if making me look like a princess meant the entire world to her. In all my years of friendship with her, I have learned that I could not once refuse any of her requests, and oddly enough, agreeing with her has not brought me any misfortune.

I smiled reassuringly. “Alright, Emmaline. I’ll go for it.”

She hugged me and squealed like a little girl in excitement. “Alright. We’ll have lunch on Saturday and after it, we’ll immediately start dolling you up.”

“But Emma—“

“No buts. I can convince my brother to give you the day off. You work too hard, so you deserve one.”